win2k guest won't boot after convert from qemu

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
caibbor
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 2K / XP

win2k guest won't boot after convert from qemu

Post by caibbor »

I installed windows 2000 in VirtualBox and it worked great until I tried to use windows update, which would cause the guest to lock up.

I decided to convert my already-updated win2k qemu image to vbox to avoid the hastle. I converted to a compacted vdi, and well it *boots* but windows gets stuck at the loading bar.

I tried the same thing with my winXP qemu image, and the same thing happens.

I tried safe mode on both 2k and xp vbox images, and they still wont boot. XP in particular seems to lock up when laoding drivers, it shows a bunch of drivers and just hangs permenantly.

I've been suggested to turn on the boot log, but I cant do that without getting into msconfig, can I?

ideas?
Perryg
Site Moderator
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: win2k guest won't boot after convert from qemu

Post by Perryg »

Try hitting F8 just after you start the VM. You should see a line about logging.
caibbor

Post by caibbor »

I deleted C:\winnt\ntbtlog.txt
I enabled boot logging via the F8 menu.
I let windows freeze, gave it a few minutes.
rebooted into windows 2000 recovery console
there is no boot log, not in any of these locations:

c:\boot.log
c:\winnt\ntbootlog.txt
c:\winnt\system32ntbootlog.txt

or for that matter,
C:\*oot*
C:\winnt\*oot*
caibbor

Post by caibbor »

nobody has any clue whats wrong?
Perryg
Site Moderator
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Sorry I don't use qemu. Only thing that I can tell you is look at the settings you are using for the guest. Pay attention to the HDD settings and the Network settings. Those are the ones that will cause a lockup in Windows. Also make sure that if you had apic or IO/APIC on in the other system it is on in this one. Windows is really funny about that. One other thing, if you had some kind of guest additions in qemu it may not work well in VBox unless you remove them. As I say I really don't know that much about qemu so this could be a load of you know what, but it may give you something to look into.

Other than that you will need to wait until someone that uses gemu to come along to help. Sorry!
caibbor

Post by caibbor »

sometimes it crashes after loading mup.sys, usually it just hangs there instead.
my vbox log after a crash: http://pastebin.com/f685c605

a lot of interesting ideas here: http://www.debianhelp.org/node/8747
not the same situation, but similar enough that I think that link could provide a solution.

this seems to be the exact problem I'm having: http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/995
it was changed from "new" to "solved" but I don't see that anyone actually solved it. my guest hangs on mup.sys just like some of the posters there

I've followed http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows
I've gone all through it, did the windows repair, the mergeide thing, etc, but still no solution.

more info I found:
(from http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content ... 1874/?o=40 )
I spent a few hours reading through posts and forums on the net. I finally found that this seems to be a known Windows XP SP2 - motherboard issue.

Mup.sys is not the culprate, it's just the last file before resources are alocated for WinXP.

With the latest service pack there were some resource code rewritten (theoretically for security reasons). Due to this, mobos that have certain resource sets become invalid sometime after SP2 is installed (note: it may not be right away). All that needs to happen on most mobos is for this resource set (the ESCD) to be rewritten. Most "higher-end" motherboards have a setting in the BIOS to say "rewrite ESCD next startup", but not all do.

My motherboard did have that option, but it didn't seem to work anyway.
So the next step would be just to reset the BIOS. All motherboards have a way to do this. Most boards will have a jumper near the battery with which you can do this. Turn off the power on the power suply. Move the jumper over to bridge pin 2 and 3, turn on power suply for 10-15 seconds (if you hit the power button nothing should happen -- that is a good test to see if it is doing what it is supposed to be doing). Turn the power off, wait 10-15 seconds, switch the jumper back to bridge pin 1 and 2. Turn on power, hit power button, your problems should be fixed.

If they are not, your ESCD may be hard coded somehow. The next step is to try to flash your BIOS with the newest version of your BIOS. Check your manual for all the instructions for that (or I'm sure there are plenty of forums that can describe how to do that).
I don't know how to use this to help me. but perhaps someone else ...