VirtualBox 3.0 problems on several Linux vm's

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
mfox
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux (various)

VirtualBox 3.0 problems on several Linux vm's

Post by mfox »

I really like VirtualBox and have used it extensively to test various Linux distros. Version 2.2.4 was working well for me on my 1.83 ghz Mac mini core 2 duo (MacOSX 10.5.7), but when I updated to 3.0 I ran into trouble with several virtual Linux machines created in previous versions of VirtualBox. One distro (VectorLinux 6.0) worked at a snail's pace (literally so slow that it was unusable), even after I updated the tools. Another (Sidux 2009-01) wouldn't boot at all. I retried both distros several times with the same result. I promptly uninstalled this version and reinstalled 2.2.4; everything went back to normal.

On my iMac 2.16 ghz core 2 duo (also running MacOSX 10.5.7), my experience was somewhat better. CrunchBang Linux 9.04 (64 bit) and openSUSE 11.0 both ran OK and updating the tools was not a problem. However, one thing that no longer worked on CrunchBang was flashplayer. Trying to run a YouTube video froze the vm and I had to shut it down to recover. I tried this several times with the same result. YouTube/flashplayer wasn't a problem on openSUSE, and I can't say for certain that I tried flashplayer on CrunchBang prior to the VirtualBox update.

In both cases, I installed VirtualBox 3.0 as an upgrade, rather than by uninstalling 2.2.4 first. But I've never had a problem doing it that way and the instructions didn't say anything about upgrading vs uninstalling-reinstalling VB. Anyone else with a Mac host and Linux guest experience something similar?
squonk
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, XP

Re: VirtualBox 3.0 problems on several Linux vm's

Post by squonk »

Same problem here.
Update my Virtualbox directly from 2.2.4 without uninstall the old version.
My VM with Ubuntu run so slowly that it can't be used
Host: Vista Home Premium
Guest: Ubuntu 9.04
I hope that there will be a solution: I don't want to re-install my VMs.
Thanks!
asdrubal
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by asdrubal »

I have the same problem too! When I am downloading something in the VM, it (the VM) crashes... :( I am using Ubuntu 9.04 in a Windows 7 host
VBox version: Puel 3.0.0
Host OS: Windows 7
Guest OS: Ubuntu 9.04
Vascom
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Fedora 11

Post by Vascom »

I have the same problem with Fedora 11 and Fedora Rawhide on VirtualBox 3.0.0 in Windows XP host.
trolley
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by trolley »

I have exactly the same problem as asdrubal. I have VirtualBox 3.0.0 on both a Windows host and a Mac OS X Leopard host, both running an Ubuntu 9.04 guest OS and in both cases the VMs lock up with the VirtualBox process chewing up a significant portion of CPU when trying to download updates.
spupuz
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.04 and 9.10

Post by spupuz »

absolutely the same problem and have also problem with guest addiont corrupting the x funcionality.
futtta
Guest OSses: ubuntu 9.04 (and some others for fun)

Post by futtta »

concerning the VM crash on download problem:
in another thread someone said changing NIC to "Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop" works around the bug. this indeed seems to do the trick for me (win xp host with VB 3.0.0 and ubuntu 9.04 guest).
asdrubal
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by asdrubal »

futtta wrote:concerning the VM crash on download problem:
in another thread someone said changing NIC to "Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop" works around the bug. this indeed seems to do the trick for me (win xp host with VB 3.0.0 and ubuntu 9.04 guest).
I fixed the bug changing to Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop... Now works perfectly! :)
VBox version: Puel 3.0.0
Host OS: Windows 7
Guest OS: Ubuntu 9.04
netzen
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by netzen »

Hi,

I had trouble with 2 Fedora 11 VMs and I think even the Debian Lenny crash once, thing that did not happen before...
After uninstall the 3.0, going back to 2.2.4 some old configs display errors, like errors in .ISO images that once checked turn out be in good condition (shasum)...

Well, nothing important was lost except a little time and frustation...

To avoid this kind of trouble in the future, why not we participate/or create a team of "testers" so that we can test the pre-public ?
For me VBox is a very useful and important piece of software and I will be happy to help it in some way.

a) We can build scripts for installations, so simple tests will be more easy to do...
b) We can build a set of scripts to run inside the VM, so we can help to perform a basic-set of functionality...

Well, just one idea... but if people want to help the VBox I think that even small help matters...

Valter
kartikeyans

Post by kartikeyans »

This poor standard of testing is not expected out of Sun Micro.
I had to revert back to 2.2.4.
Probably this is a rare case of negligence from sun release teams.
(Last one I remember was openoffice 1.2(or 2.0) a corrupted file was put on website for download 2 years back)
emirhan
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.04, Pardus 2009 RC, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Ubuntu Server 9.04, Windows 7

Post by emirhan »

Not only Linux vm's.

Since I upgraded to v3.0, my Ubuntu Desktop vm has lost it. Problems I can confirm:
- Erratic X behavior with mouse integration. I click on anywhere on screen, but vm gets it as clicked somewhere on bottom right of desktop. Disabling mouse integration works -which, obviously isn't an optimal solution.
- Transient or permanent (i.e. requiring reboot) hangs. Does not really seem to be relevant to network activity.

Windows 7 vm is problematic as well. 64-bit version refuses to install -hangs on splashscreen even before installation begins. 32 bit version seems to work fine.

Worst of all, I had that Windows 7 problem while I was recording a screencast for a basic Virtualbox tutorial for an Intel sponsored project we're conducting. :)
http://egitim.pclabs.com.tr

I got to revert back to v2.x for now.
yoyodyne
Guest OSses: XP, LinX, Ubuntu

Post by yoyodyne »

Also been having issues with various Linux guests (host: Mac OS X Leopard, Macbook Pro).

Ubuntu seems fine. Fedora seems a little flaky (had a freeze or two), but nothing major.
CentOS is really problematic. I reinstalled it, same issues. It will freeze/hang after the first reboot following the base install. Then, I made it into the OS and tried installing a few packages with yum. One worked, then it froze on the second. I just deleted it and figured I'd give up on CentOS as a guest, but reading about the network card change I'll give it another shot.
jessehouse
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.04

Post by jessehouse »

Hello there,

I, too, had the issue where my vm hung during OS load of Ubuntu 9.04 during apt configuration "scanning mirrors". I skipped that part of the install, and the OS loaded just fine.

The problem returned when I tried to use apt to download packages in the fully loaded OS.

I just switched the network adapter type to the Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (NAT) and the download through apt is working just fine.
oparrish
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.04, Windows 7

Post by oparrish »

I had the same problem where anytime I tried downloading anything in the guest it would freeze. Ubuntu 9.04 guest.

Changing my network adapter seems to have resolved the issue though.
mybox
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: slackware and windows xp currently but will try others

Post by mybox »

Ran into the same problem with scanning the mirror with kubuntu 9.04 desktop i386 guest on kubuntu 9.04 desktop amd64 host with virtualbox 3.0.0 r49315. I did/do not have any network problems with a kubuntu 8.10 desktop i386 guest using the default PCnet-Fast III network adapter on the same host and virtualbox. I also do not have any network related problems with slackware as a guest. Changing the network adapter also solved the problem for me with a kubutu 9.04 guest. All configurations are using NAT. I have not tried other networking modes. Either way, something changed between 8.10 and 9.04 to cause this network problem.