3D still broken under 3.0

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
markedwards
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Windows XP, Ubuntu

3D still broken under 3.0

Post by markedwards »

Running the 3.0 stable release with an Ubuntu 9.04 guest with 3D enabled, I still get terrible screen redraw issues, aborting on shut down, etc.

Turning off Visual Effects and 3D solves the problems. Is there some trick to getting this working? Do certain packages need to be installed under Ubuntu?

This is on an OS X 10.5.7 host.
Crusader
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 8.04 - KDE 3.5

Re: 3D still broken under 3.0

Post by Crusader »

Same for me but only after installing 3.0s Guest Additions. Without 3.0s Guest Additions graphics are fine but something really strange happens: no windw has it's upper bar, they are sticked to the Desktop's menubar. No way the to drag them. It happens in all (3) my various Ubuntu guest (804, 810, and 904) without having changed anything. Really disappointed.
markedwards

Post by markedwards »

I tried a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.04 under VBox 3.0 and confirmed the same behavior, after doing all package updates and installing the guest additions.

I guess 3D support isn't actually ready, at least on OS X 10.5.7. This is on an iMac with an nVidia GForce GT 120.
spybot
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.10, Fedora 11

Post by spybot »

GDM looks like that after upgrading VB and GA to 3.0!
After blind login system works as usual, but definitely slower than it was before upgrade.
Host = Windows Vista SP1, Guest = Ubuntu 9.04
jfeenin
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, XP, 2008, DOS

Post by jfeenin »

I got the same thing with Ubuntu 8.10 x64, Kubuntu 8.10 x64, and Ubuntu 9.04 x64 virtual machines that worked fine with 2.2.2. They worked fine with 3.0 until I upgraded the VirtualBox Guest Additions. Luckily I had a backup of the VDI file because I didn't snapshot before the GA upgrade. Going back to my Backup before the GA upgrade the VM;s work fine again. Did anybody even test this on Linux? It failed on all of my Linux based test VM's. 100% failure rate doesn't bode well. Guest Additions did seem to work OK on my Windows XP x86 Guest OS though. We'll find out tonight what happens with Server 2008 Guest OS's...
markedwards

Post by markedwards »

When you say they "worked fine under 2.2.2" do you mean with 3D enabled and Visual Effects turned on? I have never managed to get reliable operation under VirtualBox with Ubuntu with 3D turned on and Visual Effects on. I get crazy screen update ghosting, random aborting of the guest machine, aborting on shutdown (can't do a clean shut down), etc.
jfeenin

Post by jfeenin »

You get the above display at login long before any 3D effects are enabled in the GUI so I couldn't tell you. In 2.2.2 3D effects (Compiz) weren't enabled but at least the thing worked. In 3.0.0 if you install the latest guest additions you get what you see above in the screen shot instead of a login prompt.
markedwards

Post by markedwards »

Okay, well I wouldn't say that's "working fine". OpenGL with Ubuntu really isn't any more working in 3.0 than the previous release, as far as I can tell. I am able to get the login screen okay, unlike you. However, it is very unstable overall, and compiz certainly doesn't work right.
lacerto
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Win XP, Win 7, FreeBsd,Linux

Post by lacerto »

Same problem here. I found 3d effect unusable for Linux guests anyway - just far to slow. But really, I have no use for it anyway, so after switching 3d off, it all works.

On a positive note, I converted all my VMs to VirtualBox yesterday and trashed VMware Fusion. It took me most of the day to become comfortable with VirtualBox as I had never used it before. By only criticism is the slightly slower performance than Vmware Fusion, especially booting, but I'm sure this will improve in future releases.

Most excellent work all - the second best open source app in the world. (After Firefox!)
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

To anyone seeing graphics distortion like in the image above (spybot's posting), would you be able to try installing the 2.2 Guest Additions on that machine to see if it makes a difference? You may want to take a snapshot of the machine first to be on the safe side.
sdhengsoft
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.10, Fedora 11

Post by sdhengsoft »

michael wrote:To anyone seeing graphics distortion like in the image above (spybot's posting), would you be able to try installing the 2.2 Guest Additions on that machine to see if it makes a difference? You may want to take a snapshot of the machine first to be on the safe side.
G'day All,

I got this same distortion. Installing Guest Additions (GA) 2.2.4 fixes the problem. However, once logged in graphically, the system is extremely slow ... and I mean extremely slow. The GAs normally take 15-20 seconds to build and install. With Vbox 3.0.0 with GA 2.2.4 installed, it took almost 15 minutes to build a new GA into the kernel. If I don't login graphicall and just login using the text console, the VM speeds seems to be okay.
rico4295
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.04

Post by rico4295 »

Same issues here. I tried to instll the GA but the systems was to unstable. Reinstalled 2.2.4 and the 3D stuff works fine.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

OK, so it seems that this problem can be made to go away by disabling 3D or compiz in the guest (despite the fact that it seems to happen before compiz is loaded) or installing the 2.2.4 Guest Additions. Could anyone try out whether disabling SMP, IO APIC and hardware virtualisation also make a difference? Thanks!
Hortnon
Primary OS: MS Windows 2008
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows

Post by Hortnon »

michael wrote:OK, so it seems that this problem can be made to go away by disabling 3D or compiz in the guest (despite the fact that it seems to happen before compiz is loaded) or installing the 2.2.4 Guest Additions. Could anyone try out whether disabling SMP, IO APIC and hardware virtualisation also make a difference? Thanks!
This doesn't work. Since I only have 64-bit guest OS's at the moment, it won't let me disable hardware virtualization, though. I tried disabling 3d acceleration also, but that didn't have any effect.
jfeenin

Post by jfeenin »

So where does one get a copy of the 2.2.4 GA ISO file without re-installing 2.2.4 somewhere else?