Connect to wireless network from guest OS?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
VBONMBP
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Connect to wireless network from guest OS?

Post by VBONMBP »

Hi everyone, I'm new to virtual machines etc, so forgive me if this question has been asked hundreds of times before.

Is it possible to connect to my wireless network from my Macbook Pro with the airport wireless network adapter in the guest OS? My guest OS is Windows 7 and all of the other computers on the network are also running Windows 7. I would like to be able to connect to the Homegroup so that I can share files etc around the house. However, I can't seem to connect to my wireless network as the Windows OS does not seem to recognise that there is a wireless network device on my computer.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
jive
VBox Version: PUEL

Re: Connect to wireless network from guest OS?

Post by jive »

I would like to know this as well...I access everything through a shared network drive, and am unable to do so because I can't connect to my network.

Please help us!!

Thanks for any help.
bozok
Guest OSses: XP

Post by bozok »

I think you can simply map it as a second network card (not wireless!!!)
jive
VBox Version: PUEL

Post by jive »

Ok. Figured it out. Here is what you have to do.

1. Shut down your windows 7 vm.
2. Open up virtual box - your windows 7 vm should be powered off
3. click on your windows 7 vm
4. click settings
5. Click Network
6. You should have adapter 1: (Enable Network Adapter checked) Adapter type: Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop, Attached to: NAT, Name: (blank)
7.Click on adapter 2 - here you will create a new adapter.. Adapter type: Intel PRO/1000 MT Desttop, Attached to: Bridged Adapter, Name: en1:AirPort
8.Click OK.
9. Start your windows 7 VM and enjoy networking goodness. 8)

Hope this helps.
chikoon
Primary OS: Other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by chikoon »

You are awesome. It works great on my Mac Os X Leopard. I'd tried 2 network adapters before, but had the NAT on the second, instead of the first one. Thanks!
fmanikam
Guest OSses: Centos OS

Post by fmanikam »

I am new to virtual box so please pardon my ignorance. I am pretty sure this question has been answered before but for some reason I can't find it.

Here's the issue I am facing.

I have installed Virtual box on my macbook pro and installed CENTOS 64 bit as my guest OS. I can't ssh to my guest OS since I don't see any IP address. I am connected to wireless network. Can someone please help me. I have tried this so far:

For the centos OS: I went to Setting------> Network------> Adaptor1----->Enable Network1 (this is checked) Name is left blank. Attached to NAT. Adaptor Type: Intel PRO/1000MT Desktop.

Then I went to Adaptor2----Enable Network Adaptor1 (this is checked) Name is en1 (Airport). Attached to Bridged Network. Adaptor Type: Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop.

After this setting, I tried to boot my guest OS but it just hangs...Please help.
stixmcvix
Guest OSses: Windows Server 08

Post by stixmcvix »

To jive

Thank you thank you thank you ad infinitum!!!!! Was pulling my hair out working out how the hell to get the bridged network to work (the instructions my university had sent me claimed that once Windows is installed that hey presto, the network automatically bridges). You have saved my laptop from being thrown out the window! You star!
cdfagonde
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Linux / Win / Others

Post by cdfagonde »

Hi, Jive

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. When selecting 'Bridge Mode', i don't have the chance to enter the value. I only have the list to choose from. The only option that lets me write down the name is 'Internal Network'. Do u have any idea of what's wrong with my environment?

Thanks in advance.
njbourdo
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: XP

Post by njbourdo »

Don't worry about all that creating a second network adapter stuff. Just forward the appropriate ports through your existing NAT network adapter. Apple states Remote uses TCP port 3689 and UDP 5353 according to http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1741. That's all I had to do to get it working for my XP guest machine, running in Ubuntu 10.04.
YugendraVenkata

Post by YugendraVenkata »

Hi all,
I am not sure if this helps anyone. Here are my findings. If Virtual box does not dynamically detect the wireless, end user will not be able to add the wireless adapter using USB.

I was lucky to have Dlink DWA 130 @ home and have checked that the moment, the device is plugged in, Virtual Box automatically detects it.

Best Wishes.
Anna
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Home

Post by Anna »

jive wrote:Ok. Figured it out. Here is what you have to do.

[...]
Holy smoke, it worked!!! I've spent the past couple of months Google'ing on and off trying to figure this out. I ended up just using a NAT adapter. You da man!!
Anna Nguyen
selvi

Post by selvi »

4. click settings
5. Click Network
6. You should have adapter 1: (Enable Network Adapter checked) Adapter type: Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop, Attached to: NAT, Name: (blank)
7.Click on adapter 2 - here you will create a new adapter.. Adapter type: Intel PRO/1000 MT Desttop, Attached to: Bridged Adapter, Name: en1:AirPort
8.Click OK.

Hope this helps.
thanks a lot, jive! I've been trying to fix this issue for days and your suggestions works just like an eyewink!
zazuba

Post by zazuba »

4. click settings
5. Click Network
8.Click OK.

Hope this helps.
-i cannot tell you how much it helped...thank you..thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.... ur answer seemed like a drop of water in the desert ...:D :D
thisgirlshouse

Post by thisgirlshouse »

Thanks Jive. This did it for me. :D