Windows XP Pro / Windows 7 no 32bit display

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
dr3dmodel
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7

Windows XP Pro / Windows 7 no 32bit display

Post by dr3dmodel »

Has anyone managed to solve the problem of not being able to set the display to 32bit? The software I use will not run without 32bit display or 16bit. I have tried changing the color display settings without any success. I have done a few searches on the forums, but have not found any suitable answers.

I am running Windows XP Pro 64bit, with a NVIDIA GeForce 850GT graphics card.
The software I am trying to run is Adobe Visual Communicator.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be very thankful.

Thanks.
dr3dmodel

Re: Windows XP Pro / Windows 7 no 32bit display

Post by dr3dmodel »

Attached is a screen shot of the error.
Error code that appears
Error code that appears
32bit Error code.jpg (116.29 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

First you must have the guest additions installed and the video card that you have really makes little difference because VBox uses its own video emulator.
Once you have the GA installed or if you already have the GA installed then you can right click on the desktop and then settings and change the color depth / bit rate in Windows.
If it does not change then you need to up the VRam in the guest settings of in VBox. You should get fair resolution with from 10 to 16 meg of video memory.

With all of this though the program will never work as well as it would native in Windows, and may not work at all due to the fact that it requires a lot more than a virtual environment will have.
dr3dmodel

Post by dr3dmodel »

I have already installed the GA, pushed the ram up to 1024 and the video memory up to 123mb. But still no joy.

The reason I wanted to try this system in the first place was that I was getting a bit tiered of rebooting every time I wanted to use Visual Communicator. It just won't work in Windows XP Pro 64bit.

I even tried to install and run the new Beta version 3.0.0, but still it does not work.
dr3dmodel

Post by dr3dmodel »

This is the part that I don't understand and that started me thinking that maybe it's a combination of hardware and software issues.
message on boot up.
message on boot up.
Virtual-24bit.jpg (38.36 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
No matter what settings I try, this is the message that appears on boot up.
Guest system settings show 32bit
Guest system settings show 32bit
Virtual-32bit.jpg (98.33 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
I am hoping that I have missed something and that I can still get it to work properly.

So if anyone else can think of anything that I could try, please suggest away.

Thanks again.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

The reporting window from VirtualBox states that if your system is configured for 32 bit and this window still shows you can disable this window. Most people put the check mark in to not be notified again. I think the problem with your Visual Communicator software may be something else. But that is just my opinion. Let's wait for others to reply.

PS: I was going to download the trial version and see if I could help you more but Adobe has stopped all trial software until July 6th, so I am afraid I can not help more.
dr3dmodel

Post by dr3dmodel »

So after un-installing everything and deleting all the files on the portioned drive, re-installing virtualbox 3.0.0, downloading and using the VBoxGuestAdditions_3.0.0_BETA2.iso. It still gives me the error message but not from the software. Now I think there is not enough memory to run the software. Even pushing the ram up to about 1454. It does not freeze the os, but does not finish loading.

Looks like I will just have to keep rebooting between Windows XP Pro 64 and Windows XP Pro 32.

I do love the idea of having a virtual machine that I can call up any time I want.

Thanks for all your help and I will be checking in from time to time.
Maddoggg

Post by Maddoggg »

HI, I have the same warning. I go into the display section and change it from 24 to 32bit. and all is fine, but on next reboot, it defaults back 2 24 bit and displays the warning again.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this might be?

Regards

Chris
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The warning tells you that the color depth in the guest is different from that used in the host, and therefore graphics performance will be poor (because it's having to convert convert color depth on every pixel for display). If you are willing to accept poor graphics performance then tick the "do not show again" checkbox.