Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

What have you done to 300 beta2?!

Post by sej7278 »

This has to be the worst VirtualBox for a long time!

1. Shared folders crash 32-Bit Win2003 R2SP2 hosts when using SMP. turning off SMP fixes it, going back to 300b1's GA does not. This worked in beta1.

2. 64-Bit Debian Lenny won't even boot unless you disable SMP. This worked in beta1.

3. 64-Bit Solaris 10u7 has a corrupted boot archive now, and is hanging after a few seconds again like in every version prior to 2.2.4, turning off SMP doesn't fix it. This worked in beta1.

4. The kernel modules now won't compile on Debian Lenny even with SMP disabled, some error about autoconf.h not being found. This worked in beta1.

5. Direct3D doesn't seem to work at all, only DirectDraw on Win2003, dxdiag can't enable d3d or test it although 9c is installed, is this XP only or something?

Host: 64-Bit Fedora 10, Core2Quad Q660, 8Gb RAM, Nvidia drivers
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Re: What have you done to 300 beta2?!

Post by frank »

Calm down.

I can only say something regarding the kernel modules: Are you talking about the host kernel modules? This should definitely work. How did you compile the kernel modules, just during installation of the Lenny package?
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Re: What have you done to 300 beta2?!

Post by sej7278 »

Frank Mehnert wrote:Calm down.

I can only say something regarding the kernel modules: Are you talking about the host kernel modules? This should definitely work. How did you compile the kernel modules, just during installation of the Lenny package?
no, the guest additions kernel modules i mean.

the host kernel modules compile fine (although just about to test with new kernel just downloaded).

i've tried reverting to beta1:

solaris smp works again with 2 cores, doesn't even want to boot with 4 cores;

debian - i can compile ga's now, although can't get a display when i enable 4 cores, just a black screen, not even gdm and it won't shutdown, although i can ssh fine. 2 cores works fine.

shared folders on 2003 - they still seem to need smp disabled completey, even in beta1.

so something odd about guests that use all of the hosts cores.....