GUI stopped working in Fedora 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
JCCyC

GUI stopped working in Fedora 10

Post by JCCyC »

Maybe some update to Xorg or kernel or something? I am unable to start the GUI, i.e. the VirtualBox command does not start. It stays there indefinitely, and no logs appear anywhere. the /var/log/vbox/ directory is empty. I'm using the latest FC9/FC10 RPM. (2.1.4_42893 as of now.) My kernel version is 2.6.27.19-170.2.35.fc10.i686. Running with -debug doesn't help.

I am still able to start my VMs from the command line, ex. VBoxManage startvm "Windows XP" or VirtualBox -startvm "Windows XP"

Anyone has seen anything like it?
rdo2000

Re: GUI stopped working in Fedora 10

Post by rdo2000 »

Hi,

I was just about to post with the same problem. Everything was fine on Ubuntu Hardy until I upgraded to Intrepid. I can start a vm through VBoxSDL but not through the VirtualBox GUI. When I try, I get no console output and no logs, and my CPU usage spikes (Xorg and VirtualBox processes). This is with VirtualBox 2.1.4.

- rdo
JCCyC

Post by JCCyC »

rdo2000 wrote:Hi,

I was just about to post with the same problem. Everything was fine on Ubuntu Hardy until I upgraded to Intrepid. I can start a vm through VBoxSDL but not through the VirtualBox GUI. When I try, I get no console output and no logs, and my CPU usage spikes (Xorg and VirtualBox processes). This is with VirtualBox 2.1.4.

- rdo
I don't know if my CPU spikes, let me see... WHAT THE @#$&%??????? It's working again!

Try doing an apt-get update / apt-get upgrade, maybe it'll start working on its own for you too. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
rdo2000

Post by rdo2000 »

No mystery ninja fix here, unfortunately. I suspect it's something to do with Qt, but other Qt apps are working ok...

- rdo
JCCyC

Post by JCCyC »

BLERGH! It stopped working again.

One bit of info: about half the times, it causes a coredump in imsettings-applet when I try to run VirtualBox.
JCCyC

Post by JCCyC »

OK, so I removed the input methods-related packages.

Code: Select all

sudo yum remove imsettings im-chooser 'scim*'
Now it works again. Sucks if you're Russian.
jubba

Post by jubba »

JCCyC's solution fixed my problem, too. I was having issues not only with VBox's GUI not starting, but also emacs and a custom-built Amarok 1.4. I had seen the crashing of imsettings-applet, but didn't realize it was causing other problems, too.

Of course, I don't have a work around for those that need the applet...

So, thanks for figuring this out!

-jubba
JCCyC

Post by JCCyC »

Epilogue: Now I'm in another company, using VirtualBox 2.2.4 under Ubuntu Jaunty, and I don't see any problem like that.