VBoxHeadless "Failed to load the video capture extension"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jarboed
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Debian, Windows

VBoxHeadless "Failed to load the video capture extension"

Post by jarboed »

Running VirtualBox 2.2.4 PUEL on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty (from http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian). 32-bit on Intel.

I'm trying to enable VM screen capture with VBoxHeadless but always get "Failed to load the video capture extension."

Code: Select all

$ VBoxHeadless -s mini -c -w 1024 -h 768 -f test.mpg -r 300000
VirtualBox Headless Interface 2.2.4
(C) 2008-2009 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
All rights reserved.

Failed to load the video capture extension
It's the same error for test.mpg or test.avi, different bitrate or dimensions (assuming in range). ffmpeg is installed and up to date.

It's just not clear to me why it's failing. I have all of the .deb depends and recommends installed. Is anyone able to provide any information that might be helpful?

Thanks in advance,
~ Daniel
chadnickbok
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9.04

Re: VBoxHeadless "Failed to load the video capture extension"

Post by chadnickbok »

I too would like to see why this isn't working.

I've been taking a look through the OSE, and as far as I can tell, this part of it is 'closed source'. That said, apparently the actual VBoxFFmpegFB.so isn't actually getting compiled correctly, even in the closed source edition.

From looking in the OSE code, the windows version won't work; but there's no reason the linux version shouldn't - its simply not being included as part of the virtualbox distribution.

Specifically, VBoxFFmpegFB.so should be floating around somewhere, and when VBoxHeadless is run, it should be able to locate and load that shared object. But this object isn't even being distributed as part of VirtualBox, and when I try to compile it in the OSE it says:

*** No rule to make target `/home/nick/record/vbox/out/linux.x86/release/bin/VBoxFFmpeg.so', needed by `/home/nick/record/vbox/out/linux.x86/release/obj/VBoxFFmpegFB/VBoxFFmpegFB.so'. Stop.

Any chance we could get this included as part of VirtualBox again? And if its not working atm, can it be made Open Source so I can poke it?
jarboed

Post by jarboed »

chadnickbok wrote:Any chance we could get this included as part of VirtualBox again? And if its not working atm, can it be made Open Source so I can poke it?
I suspected I wasn't alone on this one. It's far from ideal, but after no response from the VBox team I surveyed the VBoxFFmpegFB.so situation in the OSE code and ultimately decided to take the shorter road and hacked around an rdesktop 1.6 client to dump screens after a certain threshold of X pixel changes within Y seconds. Then after setting multicon in VBoxManage I fire up the modified rdesktop client and now have kind of the same result + a crude form motion detection. If you have any desire to see the rdesktop diff then drop me a line. It's not the cleaner RDP server-only approach falsely advertised as working in the VBox manuals, but attacking this with nosy client may be enough to get you going on addressing your immediate need.

~ Daniel
dpavlin
Primary OS: Debian Lenny
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: linux

Post by dpavlin »

jarboed wrote:If you have any desire to see the rdesktop diff then drop me a line. It's not the cleaner RDP server-only approach falsely advertised as working in the VBox manuals, but attacking this with nosy client may be enough to get you going on addressing your immediate need.
I'm also interested in RDP recording client, so diff would be appreciated. Next step (for me) would be to create some raw format which can be encoded using ffmpeg on the fly.
jarboed

Post by jarboed »

dpavlin wrote:
jarboed wrote:If you have any desire to see the rdesktop diff then drop me a line. It's not the cleaner RDP server-only approach falsely advertised as working in the VBox manuals, but attacking this with nosy client may be enough to get you going on addressing your immediate need.
I'm also interested in RDP recording client, so diff would be appreciated. Next step (for me) would be to create some raw format which can be encoded using ffmpeg on the fly.
I PMed you. I haven't coded with the ffmpeg libraries before, but I see support for AVCodecContext pix_fmt of PIX_FMT_RGB24 and I was working with uncompressed 24-bit RGB screen images in rdesktop so it should be relatively straightforward.
xantus
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows, chromium

Post by xantus »

When is this going to be resolved? I need headless video capture.
xantus
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows, chromium

Post by xantus »

ok, here's where I am with this
I have checked out vbox from svn
I tracked down ffmpeg-20060710 and extracted it to src/libs
I found the Makefile.kmk and modified config.h from a 2 year old vbox commit, and dropped those into src/libs/ffmpeg-20060710
I enabled VBOX_WITH_FFMPEG in Config.kmk

After building everything, I ended up with VBoxFFmpegFB.so and VBoxFFmpeg.so. Finally.

But after trying to run VBoxHeadless in capture mode, I'm still stuck with "failed to load the video capture extension"

Could someone with a clue help me build this friggen feature?

Thanks