Erratic function of USB with Garmin GPS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
smithpdo

Post by smithpdo »

When I connect a Garmin Forerunner 205 GPS watch to my machine using a USB cable I find that the Garmin software (Garmin Training Center) does not recognise the GPS watch.
The Device Manager shows that the Garmin USB GPS is present. If I disconnect the USB cable the Garmin USB entry will disappear from the Device Manager and come back again when I reconnect the GPS watch. But the Training Center software still does not recognise the watch.

But, if in the Device Manager I disable the Garmin USB GPS driver and then re-enable it, the Training Center immediately recognises the watch and downloads the GPS coordinate records successfully. This works every time.

I have previously used the Garmin GPS watch now for several months on a Windows 2000 machine and it did not exhibit these problems, working as expected.

My environment:
Host: OpenSuse 10.2, kernel 2.6.18.8-0.5
AMD 3200
VirtualBox 1.5

Guest: Windows 2000 SP4
Garmin Trainin Center 3.1.1
USB driver grmnusb.sys 2.1.0.0
smithpdo

Post by smithpdo »

I forgot to mention that I can use a USB flash drive and a USB printer in the Windows 2000 VirtualBox guest
smithpdo

Post by smithpdo »

Update
To access my GPS watch I must always first restart the Garmin USB driver.
If I run the command line utility devcon as follows

devcon restart @usb\vid_091e*

this will restart the Garmin USB driver and allow the Training Center software to download from the Garmin GPS watch.

Of course this is not necessary in native Windows 2000 :)
DocB

Re: Erratic function of USB with Garmin GPS

Post by DocB »

Is this devcon a Linux-utility?
bjlockie
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXP, Win7

Post by bjlockie »

I have a TomTom GPS that is USB1.
The TT software always times out so I have to manually put stuff on a removed SD card with a USB2 card reader.
I doubt your problem is timeouts but it might be.
digitalsp
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: winxp various linux distros

Post by digitalsp »

The devcon utility is a Microsoft Windows utility.

Here is a post showing the use of the devcon utility inside a windows shortcut: <dead link deleted>.
zipp

Post by zipp »

smithpdo wrote:Erratic function of USB with Garmin GPS

When I connect a Garmin Forerunner 205 GPS watch to my machine using a USB cable I find that the Garmin software (Garmin Training Center) does not recognise the GPS watch.
The Device Manager shows that the Garmin USB GPS is present. If I disconnect the USB cable the Garmin USB entry will disappear from the Device Manager and come back again when I reconnect the GPS watch. But the Training Center software still does not recognise the watch.

But, if in the Device Manager I disable the Garmin USB GPS driver and then re-enable it, the Training Center immediately recognises the watch and downloads the GPS coordinate records successfully. This works every time.

I have previously used the Garmin GPS watch now for several months on a Windows 2000 machine and it did not exhibit these problems, working as expected.

My environment:
Host: OpenSuse 10.2, kernel 2.6.18.8-0.5
AMD 3200
VirtualBox 1.5

Guest: Windows 2000 SP4
Garmin Trainin Center 3.1.1
USB driver grmnusb.sys 2.1.0.0
Hi!

I have today - 7 years later - EXACTLY the same problem. Though my environment ist diffrent (Host: Ubuntu 14.04; VirtualBox 4.3.10; Guest Windows XP SP3; latest drivers and program-versions.)
Unfortunately the link with the solution (?) doesn't work anymore. Can anybody tell me, what the trick was?

Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The thread above is obsolete, and the link you refer to was probably spam anyway given the other posts of this user (and his name, and the websites he links to).

Better for you to start your own thread and explain what your problem is, complete with VM log file, rather than self-diagnose it as being the same as some poorly described historical problem. In the meantime I'm going to lock this thread and delete that guy's links, since he hasn't posted enough to warrant allowing his self promotions to remain.

Minimum information needed for assistance.