Problem with the dmg download

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Bepe
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows

Problem with the dmg download

Post by Bepe »

Hi everybody

I'm trying to test the VirtualBox on my Mac (Intel, Leopard), but the dmg I've downloaded has a problem.

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... 78-OSX.dmg

1- It takes a very long time to download. I got the first 90% at normal speed (for my connection), but after that it takes 24 hours for the last 10%.
2- When I try to open the dmg, the system (when verifying the dmg) tell me the codec of the dmg is out date ??? I tell to the system to ignore the verification.
3- I launch the install (VirtualBox.mpkg). At the end the installer tell me that the support (dmg) is damaged !!

I've retried twice to download but everytime the same problem.

Is there an other place to download the dmg ? or someone encountered the same problem ? or perhaps it is the long time it took for download ?

Thanks, Bertrand

PS : Sorry for my english, I'm french
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Problem with the dmg download

Post by Perryg »

Welcome to the forum Bertrand,

I suspect that it is either your download speed or connection that is causing you grief. If you can get 90% of the package at a reasonable speed for your connection and then the last part takes a really long time that is more than likely corrupting the download. Short of doing this over and over again until you get a good download, do you have a friend that can download it and burn it to CD for you?
Bepe

Post by Bepe »

Perryg wrote: I suspect that it is either your download speed or connection that is causing you grief. If you can get 90% of the package at a reasonable speed for your connection and then the last part takes a really long time that is more than likely corrupting the download. Short of doing this over and over again until you get a good download, do you have a friend that can download it and burn it to CD for you?
Thanks Perryg

But I dont understand why ?? This is the first time I'm encountering this behavior.
So I try an other method to download (without Speed download) directly in Safari.

CU
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

You didn't say you were using a download manager. I have seen them corrupt files before. Why not try just to do an HTTP download and see if the works.
Bepe

Re: Problem with the dmg download [solve]

Post by Bepe »

Perryg wrote:You didn't say you were using a download manager. I have seen them corrupt files before. Why not try just to do an HTTP download and see if the works.
Yes you are right ! I forgot.
Ok the problem is solve. I download the dmg with Safari and it works !!!

fine :-) Now the test

Thanks for your replies

Bertrand