"Open" an existing Virtual Machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Natacha

"Open" an existing Virtual Machine

Post by Natacha »

Hello,

I had 5 Virtual Machines on my other HD, D: (Hardisks, and Machines)

I reinstalled my OS on C:, and the Virtual Box software.

Can you help me to find the way to open existing Virtual machines that stayed on the D: ? There is no "Open file" in Virtual box software, (there is only "New"), and I would like to make them appear (5 machines) in the reinstalled software, to avoid reinstall all the machines.

Thank you very much for your help.

Natacha, Québec
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Re: "Open" an existing Virtual Machine

Post by vbox4me2 »

Make new VM's without harddisks, on the same menu's you have Virtual Disk Manager, register there your VDI's, then attach them to your VM's, done, order lunch :)
Natacha

Post by Natacha »

Wow !

Thank you Vbox4me2... it is so simple with your explanation.

I got all my VB.

Thank you again vbox4me2 !!!
pekay
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win 7

Post by pekay »

What about saved snapshots and the VM settings? I have my vitual machines on my portable USB hdd drive. With this approach I have different settings for each instance when going from one computer to another. As an example I am using the VM on computer A and do a snapshot and or change the VM settings. If I go to computer B I can't use this instance of the machine hence not be able to access the snapshot. Is there anything comparable to VMware where just have to open the .vmx file?

Peter
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

Not yet, the only way is to copy all the xml files between Hosts, if nothing much changes there it's a one time thing to do. If not a tool like xxcopy /clone will keep things in sync.
chillrobot
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win7Beta

Post by chillrobot »

I have the same situation as pekay -- i have my .VirtualBox folder on an external hd, and I thought this would be enough to save a snapshot on one host and open on another host. On the second host, I've set the HardDrives, Machines, and Snapshots preferences to the folders on my external drive, but the snapshots saved on the first host aren't shown.

vbox4me2, what are the xml files you say need to be copied, and where are they in a default install?

I'm using VB2.2.4 on the second host. There are 3 snapshot files at G:\.VirtualBox\Machines\Win7RCPortable\Snapshots on my external drive, and Settings | General | Advanced | Snapshot folder is set to that path.