Howto: Windows XP in both VM and native - DISCUSSION

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
urnew
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP x86

Re: Howto: Windows XP in both VM and native - DISCUSSION

Post by urnew »

Thank you very much Terry!
I wasn't sure if I should give ownership of the vmdk files to the user 'vmraw' with 'disk' membership. After I did this it works (thanks to this post). :)
alexbernson
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by alexbernson »

First off, thank you so much for the tutorial! I followed it and am really happy with my setup.

With one small caveat. I'm running an XP guest, and the wrapper script in the tutorial isn't correctly switching the hardware profile for some reason. regsetdword says that the key is being modified, but the default option in the choose hardware profile list isn't changing. Lucky that I decided to do a test run before changing the timeout. I've attached the script I'm using, and the output and would really appreciate any help!

script

Code: Select all

#! /bin/bash
cat /media/win/boot.ini
VISTA_VM=Windows
VISTA_PARTITION=/dev/sda1
VISTA_MOUNT=/media/win
HIVE_PATH=/WINDOWS/system32/config
HWPROFILEKEY=ControlSet001\\Control\\IDConfigDB\\CurrentConfig
HWPROFILEVM=1     # VM hardware profile number
HWPROFILENATIVE=2 # Native hardware profile number

setHwProfile() {
	gksudo umount $VISTA_MOUNT
	gksudo "mount -t ntfs-3g -o rw $VISTA_PARTITION $VISTA_MOUNT"
	echo 'mounted rw'
	/home/alex/box/regsetdword/regsetdword -f $VISTA_MOUNT/$HIVE_PATH/system $HWPROFILEKEY $1
	sleep 1
	cp /media/win/scripts/boot_$1.ini /media/win/boot.ini 
	gksudo umount $VISTA_MOUNT
	gksudo "mount -t ntfs-3g -o ro $VISTA_PARTITION $VISTA_MOUNT"
	echo 'mounted ro'
}

setHwProfile $HWPROFILEVM
cat /media/win/boot.ini
echo Launching Windows

/usr/bin/VirtualBox -startvm $VISTA_VM

setHwProfile $HWPROFILENATIVE
cat /media/win/boot.ini
output from the script

alex@Dozer:~/box$ ./launch.sh 
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP (native - SMP)" /execute /fastdetect /kernel=ntkrnlmp.exe /hal=halmacpi.dll

mounted rw
regsetdword 0.1 - Copyright (c) 2008 Vkov Tinsky
NTREG Windows registry library - Copyright (c) 1997-2008 Petter Nordahl-Hagen

Hive </media/win//WINDOWS/system32/config/system> name (from header): <SYSTEM>
ROOT KEY at offset: 0x001020 * Subkey indexing type is: 686c <lh>
Page at 0x705000 is not 'hbin', assuming file contains garbage at end
File size 7602176 [740000] bytes, containing 1698 pages (+ 1 headerpage)
Used for data: 142735/7277592 blocks/bytes, unused: 2819/24488 blocks/bytes.

Path:		ControlSet001\Control\IDConfigDB\CurrentConfig
Current value:	1 [0x00000001]
New value:	2 [0x00000002]

writing hive... done
closing hive /media/win//WINDOWS/system32/config/system
mounted ro
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP (vm)" /execute /fastdetect /kernel=ntkrnlsp.exe /hal=halsp.dll

Launching Windows
mounted rw
regsetdword 0.1 - Copyright (c) 2008 Vkov Tinsky
NTREG Windows registry library - Copyright (c) 1997-2008 Petter Nordahl-Hagen

Hive </media/win//WINDOWS/system32/config/system> name (from header): <SYSTEM>
ROOT KEY at offset: 0x001020 * Subkey indexing type is: 686c <lh>
Page at 0x705000 is not 'hbin', assuming file contains garbage at end
File size 7602176 [740000] bytes, containing 1698 pages (+ 1 headerpage)
Used for data: 142714/7276624 blocks/bytes, unused: 2829/25456 blocks/bytes.

Path:		ControlSet001\Control\IDConfigDB\CurrentConfig
Current value:	2 [0x00000002]
New value:	1 [0x00000001]

writing hive... done
closing hive /media/win//WINDOWS/system32/config/system
mounted ro
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WinXP (native - SMP)" /execute /fastdetect /kernel=ntkrnlmp.exe /hal=halmacpi.dll
urnew
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: XP x86

Post by urnew »

edit:
It seems the double reboot is needed so XP can update the device and IRQ tables.

Thanks for this HOWTO! :)
I got a small issue when using the kernel switch so I can use both CPU cores in native mode:
When I boot native after a VB session and vice versa XP wants to reboot again because it installs "root\acpi_hal\0000" according to its boot-log file. (When I boot in VB I even have to go to Safemode first because XP hangs at boot.)
Is this normal?
frank
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by frank »

I just answered a question of a user which wants to set a DmiBiosVersion of 0405 where a string is expected. VirtualBox will detect that this value is an integer and insert an integer value rather than a string value. If you are sure that the value is correct you can enforce a string value by using "string:0405" as value.
aztrix
Primary OS: openSUSE

Post by aztrix »

Howzit Folks?

This is a very good tutorial but I just don't seem to be able to boot natively but before I get to that, I have a concern about the partitioning.

Let me start by defining my partition table:
Number Type   StartCHS      EndCHS      Size (MiB)  Start (Sect)
1      0x07  0   /1  /1   1023/254/63       20489           63  /* Windows System */
2      0x07  1023/254/63  1023/254/63      102398     41961780  /* Windows Data */
3      0x83  1023/254/63  1023/254/63        2047    251674290  /* Linux Root */
4                                                               /* Logical Partition */
5      0x8e  1023/254/63  1023/254/63      343805    255867318  /* LVG */
6      0x82  1023/254/63  1023/254/63        8197    959980203  /* Swap */
I've separated Windows System and Data because a baremetal recovery of windows is straightforward and I only have to backup on the rare occasions when I upgrade or install new software (never). My windows data is backed up at the partition level in linux (and restored similarly).

My concern is that when I use the method
Create vmdk for one or more partitions
in the HOWTO it appears that my whole hard disk is exposed i.e.

VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename ~/.VirtualBox/HardDisks/sda1.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sda -partitions 1 -relative
VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename ~/.VirtualBox/HardDisks/sda2.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sda -partitions 2 -relative

By that I mean that VirtualBox displays each partition as being 465GB in capacity instead of 20GB and 100GB respectively. My concern is that when I boot the windows cd to install, it shows the same information as VirtualBox. Will windows hose my partitions and corrupt my filesystems? I don't know but I do know that I can expect the unexpected with microsoft so I haven't taken a chance with this method.

The only way I can get VirtualBox (and Windows) to see each partition as 20GB and 100 GB respectively, is to create each partition as a whole disk
Create vmdk for whole disk
i.e.

VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename ~/.VirtualBox/HardDisks/sda1.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sda1
VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename ~/.VirtualBox/HardDisks/sda2.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sda2

What is the impact/risk of doing it this way? Should I be concerned about the discrepancy between the physical partition size vs. what VirtualBox (and Windows) display? Am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

Confused doesn't begin to describe where I'm at right now.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks.

Cheers
Bruce
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

Window expects to see a device with partitions P1 and P2 as the system and data. Don't confuse it by splitting these onto two separate virtual disks. Just use the -rawdisk /dev/sda -partitions 1,2 without the -relative. Yes, this will produce a Virtual Disk that looks the same as the underlying physical one, but you can only R/W to partitions 1,2. Other reads return 0 and writes are ignored. Also note that the MBR is virtualised so changing the MBR in the VMDK doesn't change the real one on the disk.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
braillane
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows XP SP2

Post by braillane »

OMG!!! Why i haven't seen this how-to before??? :D
Very nice how-to, all the solution i've ever found with 2 weeks of research are here. Why i didn't find this how-to 2 weeks ago??? :P

But.... this doesn't solver my last problem : The reactivation of windows...
i have done what you explain in your howto bu it doesn't work... I have changed DMIs information in VBox and i have change the MAC address (with each interfaces) but i still have windows who ask to reactivate :(
Any idea?
I've made 2 reports of my hardware with Everest (one with the VM, one natively), here links :
http://uploading.com/files/3EUIOG9F/configreel.txt.html
http://uploading.com/files/W6N859ZW/configvm.txt.html
Reports are in french :? sorry

Another problem : when i restore %WINDIR%\system32\wpa.db , at the next boot windows say (only in the vm) something like "your windows is not activate, you can't use it" and i'm redirected to the login page, the i click on my account and then i have the "hardware has change you must reactivate within 3 days blabla...."!

Thanks for your help, and bravo for this how-to vkov_tinsky and TerryE!

EDIT: just find a possible solution, i try this : http://mazimi.wordpress.com/2007/07/11/ ... tualizing/
i'm french... sorry for my english :s
braillane

Post by braillane »

Mouhahaaaa! I have resolved my problem. I post my solution because i think she could have her location in the howto :D

I have follow the instruction here :
http://mazimi.wordpress.com/2007/07/11/ ... tualizing/
BUT i have totally change the script. I have made a script that find the hardware profile in use and copy the correct key in function of this hardware profile. this is my code :

Dim WshShell, bKey , pKey, nativeProfile, nativeFolder, vmProfile, vmFolder, windowsFolder, originFolder, file, fso

pKey = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\IDConfigDB\CurrentConfig"
nativeProfile = 1
vmProfile = 2
nativeFolder = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ActivationProfiles\native"
vmFolder = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\ActivationProfiles\vm"
windowsFolder = "C:\WINDOWS\system32"

Set fso = WScript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") 
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") 
on error resume next

bKey = WshShell.RegRead(pKey)
if (Err <> 0) then
	'key not found... error
	WScript.Echo "Key not found in the registry!"
else
	if(bKey=nativeProfile ) then
		originFolder = nativeFolder
	elseif (bKey=vmProfile) then
		originFolder = vmFolder
	else 
		WScript.Echo "unknown hardware profile"
		WScript.Quit
	end if

For Each file In fso.GetFolder(originFolder).Files
 		fso.GetFile(file).Copy windowsFolder & "\" & fso.GetFileName(file),True
	Next
end if
This is the first time i code in vbs, so if anyone has optimizations or something like that, it's free! :D
You just have to fill correctly the firsts variables if they are not corresponding...
Then we can imagine to start different program in function of the hardware profile...
braillane

Post by braillane »

Hum my first problem is solved but i have a big problem of performance!
When i click on the start menu, the menu take about 10 seconds to be displayed because of the fade effect... Some things are really slow like the start menu or everytings who need to access the disk drive...
Everybody has this problem?
I have installed the guest additions, put 120mo for the video memory, activate the 3d acceleration, restarted, but nothing change :(
I need XP for Visual Studio 2008 (i don't like mono) but i really can't work in those conditions :(
At ease, the cpu is on 20%, the movement of windows is really jerky like if no graphic drivers was installed.
IO APIC is enable, otherwise my windows don't boot....

EDIT : i have made my own post for my problem ;) ==> http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17531
Last edited by braillane on 10. May 2009, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
TerryE
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

The 3D effects are based on DirectX-3D which uses the graphics adapters hardware acceleration. At the moment the VBox VMM only supports OpenGL, so in the VM this functionality is executed by the single core VM and not the GA. You really need to turns off 3D effects in your desktop preferences.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
unoriginal
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other

Fix for XP Hardware Profile automatic selection

Post by unoriginal »

As I think others in this thread have noticed/complained about, the Vista Hardware Profile workaround doesn't work for XP and (I assume) 2000, which will only boot the first listed Hardware Profile by default. Consequently, if you are looking to script an automagic boot for XP for Virtual and Native hardware profiles, you need to change the order of the list instead of trying to pick the profile itself as you would under Vista.

The key for that is in a similar place to the CurrentControlSet key, and you can fire up regedit to inspect it: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\IDConfigDB\Hardware Profiles

In that folder you should have — if you have set up your Native and Virtual profiles correct as per the guide — 3 numbered profiles:
  • 0000 is a dummy profile used for creating new hardware profiles and should be ignored
  • 0001 would be your first hardware profile, in terms of the guide, your native windows hardware profile
  • 0002 should be the Hardware Profile you created to make your dual-boot setup work, the Virtual hardware profile
In both the 0001 and 0002 profiles, there is a string key called "FriendlyName." This should display the name of whatever you called your profiles, allowing you to tell which is which if for some reason you created your profiles backwards or completely out of order.

Each Hardware Profiles subfolder has another dword key called "PreferenceOrder." As you would expect, this is what sets the order the Hardware Profiles get listed in on the selection screen. The counter starts at 0 for the first profile. Naturally, this is the key we will be toggling before boot to get the order right so we can eliminate user action and set the timeout to 0 for automatic selection.

Below is my script, with which I switch the order of the Hardware Profiles, and also overwrite the boot.ini (for switching between single and multi-processor kernels and hal):

#! /bin/bash

VM_NAME=XP
XP_PARTITION=/dev/sda1
XP_MOUNT=/mnt/windows
NAT_INI=boot-nat.ini
VM_INI=boot-vm.ini
REGSETPATH=~/.VirtualBox/regsetdword/regsetdword
# you shouldn't need to change this:
HIVE_PATH=WINDOWS/system32/config/system
# you probably won't need to change these:
NATIVE_PROFILE=ControlSet001\\Control\\IDConfigDB\\Hardware\ Profiles\\0001\\PreferenceOrder
VIRTUAL_PROFILE=ControlSet001\\Control\\IDConfigDB\\Hardware\ Profiles\\0002\\PreferenceOrder

mnt() {
		gksudo -- umount -v "$XP_MOUNT"
		gksudo -- mount -v -t ntfs-3g -o $1 "$XP_PARTITION" "$XP_MOUNT"
	}

setboot() {
	mnt rw
	cp -v "$XP_MOUNT"/$1 "$XP_MOUNT"/boot.ini
	"$REGSETPATH" -f "$XP_MOUNT"/$HIVE_PATH "$NATIVE_PROFILE" $2
	"$REGSETPATH" -f "$XP_MOUNT"/$HIVE_PATH "$VIRTUAL_PROFILE" $3
	sleep 1
	mnt ro
}

setboot "$VM_INI" 1 0
/usr/bin/VirtualBox -startvm "$VM_NAME"
setboot "$NAT_INI" 0 1
The boot*.ini files, as per the Howto:

boot-vm.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=10
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="[Virtual] Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut /kernel=ntkrnlsp.exe /hal=halsp.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="[Native] Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut /kernel=ntkrnlmp.exe /hal=halmacpi.dll
boot-nat.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=10
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="[Native] Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut /kernel=ntkrnlmp.exe /hal=halmacpi.dll
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="[Virtual] Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut /kernel=ntkrnlsp.exe /hal=halsp.dll
If the above work, the order in the Boot and Hardware Profile screens should be appropriate for each instance (Native, i.e. without script; Virtual, with script). If that's the case, you can edit the *.ini's to "timeout=0" and go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Hardware Profiles and set it to "Select the first profile listed ... in 0 seconds" and then you should have no fuss, no muss automatic booting.
flamacue
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: various Linux distros

[EDIT: nevermind] Cannot boot WinXP natively - please help

Post by flamacue »

EDIT (July 28, 2009): I had several more attempts, and finally succeeded. I will make another post with some details. I am leaving this post here for...posterity...or something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to do a fresh install of WinXP Pro SP3, which I want to be able to boot both in VirtualBox (currently v3.0.0, host OS Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty Jaguar") and natively (Dell Inspiron 700m laptop). My main reference is this guide. I installed while booted in VirtualBox, and when I try to boot natively, it displays "autochk program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK" for a couple seconds, then shows a BSOD which says:
STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session Manager Initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).

The system has been shut down
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, or how to proceed. I would be fine with starting from scratch if necessary, if I can get it right next time.

(BTW, if it matters, when I boot WinXP in the VM, there is no C-drive, only D (CDROM), and E, which has all the stuff that C normally would--WINDOWS, Program Files, etc.)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some help. If you need additional info beyond what I've put below here, please ask.

Details of what I've done so far:

Running closed source VirtualBox v3.0.0.
Created /dev/sda4 primary partition (~20GB) for WinXP.
Created a grub boot cd iso and a vmdk per steps 1 and 2 of http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=769883

VM settings:
- enabled ACPI, disabled IO APIC
- IDE Controller type PIIX4
- did NOT "Enable Additional Controller" (SATA), as my real controller is PATA.
- audio disabled (temporarily, i hope, just trying to reduce the # of variables)
- one network adapter, PCnet-FAST III (Am79C973), Bridged mode, to eth1 (wireless on my laptop) - I can get on the internet when booted in the VM
- serial ports disabled (temporarily, i hope, as w/ audio)
- USB controller enabled, USB 2.0 EHCI Controller enabled
- setup one shared folder, works fine

Started the VM, mounted the Host CDROM drive (w/ WinXP install CD). Restarted the VM, booted the CD, did the installation.
* Note, I had to delete the unformatted /dev/sda4 partition, and recreate w/ the Windows installer. Will this cause any probs for WinHD.vmdk??
* Note2, my WinXP Pro CD has SP3 slipstreamed, also .NET, and a couple other programs, e.g. 7zip and some video codecs.

Tried to "Set access to raw partitions from host", per III.3.c. of http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=9697 . The script only works from the command line, I tried modifying it to make it callable from my GUI (using gksudo, etc), but I don't understand enough of what it's doing to make that happen. I *really* want to start it up with 1 or 2 clicks.
* I figured the phrase "For VirtualBox to be able to access the raw disk partitions..." suggested this step might actually be necessary only if I couldn't get in through the VBox GUI. Since I was able to start the VM through the GUI, I continued doing so. Is this the cause of my BSOD??
* If it is the cause, how can I make that script launchable through a GUI click in GNOME?

Step IV ( http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=9697 ):
* Did NOT enable SATA, since I don't have an SATA controller.
* System Restore is enabled.
* Disabled (did not uninstall) all h/w I could figure was from VirtualBox in the native h/w profile. (I didn't make a list. Wondering if I missed something, or disabled something I shouldn't have..?)
* Ran "MergeIDE.bat D". I guess it did what it was supposed to, but I don't know German. I took a peek at the batch file, I see that went to the part where it gave a bunch of output, instead of just saying that the Windows CD needs to be inserted, so I guess that's good.
* EDIT: Did "8. [Optional] Make startup programs only run in VM (and vice versa)", only did this for Guest Additions.
* Did "9. [Optional] Disable services not required in VM (and vice-versa)" only for the 2 suggested services (Wireless Zero Configuration (WZCSVC) and VirtualBox Guest Additions Service (VBoxService)).

Of course step "V) Booting natively" is where I'm having the problem. I am still able to boot in the VM with my virtual h/w profile, though as I mentioned, Guest Additions doesn't startup anymore.
Last edited by flamacue on 29. Jul 2009, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
flamacue
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: various Linux distros

wrong text? "Make startup programs only run in VM"

Post by flamacue »

EDITED (July 28, 2009) to reflect more definitive info.

On http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=9697

Step IV, 8. "[Optional] Make startup programs only run in VM (and vice versa)", it suggests making vm_only.cmd with the following text:

ipconfig /all | find "AMD PCNET Family PCI Ethernet"
if NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 start "" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
EDIT: I have had several attempts at setting this up now (starting from a fresh windows install), and noted that the text returned by ipconfig varied from one installation to another. I have also seen it say "AMD PCNET Family Ethernet Adapter (PCI)". I made my scripts more permissive...

My (EDITED) vm_only.cmd looks like this:

ipconfig /all | find "AMD PCNET Family"
if NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 start "" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
Likewise, my (EDITED) natively_only.cmd looks like this:

ipconfig /all | find "AMD PCNET Family"
if ERRORLEVEL 1 start "" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
Cheers. :)
Last edited by flamacue on 28. Jul 2009, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
edxtreem

Post by edxtreem »

Hi,

I follow the tutorial and create a vmdk for 1 partition and a user which has access to the partition and the vmdk files. Everything works fine except for the sound, when i start the vm with the newly created user using the script given in the tutorial I get an error message:
Error ID: HostAudioNotResponding
Severity: Warning

When I start the vm using the default user (my own account) there is no problem and sound works perfect.

Could someone point me in the right direction, i think it has something to do with accessing pulseaudio (user rights?).
I already added the user to the pulse-access and pulse-rt groups but this didn't do the trick.

thnx in advance
gdw098

regsetdword utility no longer available

Post by gdw098 »

The regsetdword utility is no longer available on http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/19276 ... ord.tar.gz
Does anyone have an alternative download location? I can't find it with google...