HOWTO: Compiz on Ubuntu 8.10 Guest with VirtualBox 2.1.4

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
ah7013
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: openSUSE Factory, Windows XP

HOWTO: Compiz on Ubuntu 8.10 Guest with VirtualBox 2.1.4

Post by ah7013 »

UPDATE: VirtualBox 2.2.0 is out and it comes with the 3D Video Driver for Compiz. This guide is no longer needed

This is what used to get Compiz on my Ubuntu 8.10 please keep in note that the software used (virtualbox additions) is in beta and I take no responsibility if this doesn't work for you and something bad happens to your Virtual Machine.

First of start off by making sure you have ubuntu installed on a virtual machine. Make sure you have enabled 3D accelaration and given it enough video memory (I put 128MB Video Memory)

Then do this in the terminal:

Code: Select all

mkdir ~/.config/compiz
gedit ~/.config/compiz/compiz-manager
This will open up a blank text file. Put the following into the text file:

SKIP_CHECKS=yes
Save it and close it. On your host, download the following file: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... _BETA2.iso

Once the download has finished, mount it in the virtual machine in virtualbox, and install the guest addditions:

cd /media/cdrom
sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run
You may have to enter your password. Just enter the password that you use to log on.

Once that is done, restart the Virtual Machine. Once that is done, log back on and edit the following file using this command:

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Then Make your device section look like this:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Driver          "vboxvideo"
EndSection
Save it, Close it, then press Control+Alt+Backspace. Log in to ubuntu again.
Now go to System->Preferences->Appearance. Then click on the Visual Effects tab. Either click on normal or extra. I set mine to normal. And now you should have Visual Effects. Here is proof:

Last edited by ah7013 on 8. Apr 2009, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: HOWTO: Compiz on Ubuntu 8.10 Guest with VirtualBox 2.1.4

Post by Sasquatch »

It's better to run everything on 2.2, instead of installing newer GA on an older VB version, like you are doing. Wait a few days, VB 2.2 is almost done for it's final release.

To make your solution with the checks a bit more elegant, you might want to investigate where it checks for usable drivers. Compiz-Fusion uses a driver white-list and adding vboxvideo to it is enough to make it work. You want to have it check a few things, as sometimes you might miss a package or two.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
agreen416
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by agreen416 »

AWESOME!!! everything worked perfectly. I'm doing something that I can't do in VMware and what Parallels 4 promised and couldn't do.
kicker
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Unbuntu

Post by kicker »

Hello,

Firstly let me say I am new to linux.

I am running Ubuntu Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. I have updated to VirtualBox 2.2.0, making sure 3d acceleration is enabled. I tried to enable visual effects via System->Preferences->Appearance but get the message "Desktop effects could not be enabled". Any ideas?
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

kicker wrote:Hello,

I am running Ubuntu Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. I have updated to VirtualBox 2.2.0, making sure 3d acceleration is enabled. I tried to enable visual effects via System->Preferences->Appearance but get the message "Desktop effects could not be enabled". Any ideas?
That's what this howto is for, it says how to work around it.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

Vixen

Post by Vixen »

kicker : you have to install the 2.2.0 guest additions in order to get the 3D acceleration working 8)
topherfangio
Guest OSses: LinuxMint, Debian

Post by topherfangio »

Hello, I am attempting to follow this HOWTO and am having a small problem (nothing wrong with the howto...I'm pretty sure I screwed something up). I am running VBox 2.2.0 and have the 3D rendering enabled. My problem is that I cannot install the VBox additions because at one point I upgraded my OS (LinuxMint) using

sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
instead of using the LinuxMint updater. Unfortunately, this upgraded my kernel and left my OS unusable unless I selected the old kernel image in the GRUB boot loader. When I view the the error log that was created when the VBox additions failed, it says the following:

Installing VirtualBox 2.2.0 Guest Additions, built Tue Apr  7 21:13:12 CEST 2009

Testing the setup of the guest system

Could not find the Linux kernel header files - the directories
  /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/include and /usr/src/linux/include
  do not exist.
Giving up due to the problems mentioned above.
If I check...the "build" directory is missing. However, it is present in "/lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/" (the upgraded but non-working kernel). Does anybody know how to get the build directory back into the old kernel (2.6.27-7-generic)? I think if I can get past this, then I could get Compiz working which would be AWESOME. If I have to resort to reinstalling my OS, I can, but I would prefer not to lose everything.

Thanks very much for any responses!
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

We can't help you if you borked your own system. Fix that, then come back here. Go to the Linux Mint forums for help on how to restore your broken system. After that, read my howto at the top about the GA.

topherfangio
Guest OSses: LinuxMint, Debian

Post by topherfangio »

Lol, my apologies. For some reason I was thinking this WAS the LinuxMint forum...it's been a long day.

Thanks again for the howto!
musicalmike235
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: ubuntu

Post by musicalmike235 »

I followed the instructions exactly. They didn't work. I've been trying to get this to work for several hours. When I follow a set of instructions, I expect them to work. When they don't work, I get very angry; especially when we have a whole forum full of peopel who had no issues. What's the deal with this thing? I am using the very latest version of virtual box. I am using the very latest version of guest additions. I have 3d acceleration enabled. glxgears runs just fine. So none of those things are a problem. Why won't this thing work?

*edit*
Sasquatch wrote:
kicker wrote:Hello,

That's what this howto is for, it says how to work around it.
Did it ever occur to you in your infinite wisdom that perhaps he DID follow the HOWTO and the thing just didn't work?

I know I am being vitriolic, but when I waste my time following instructions only to have them not work, and then to come on here and see a whole bunch of people who had success doing THE EXACT SAME THING, I get pissed off.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

My friend,
You need to calm down. High blood pressure is the leading cause of .....

OK so you followed it exactly and it did not work.
Check these few things and let me know what you find:
Check with the MAC forums and see if your video card supports double buffer OpenGL acceleration. Also some of the MAC forums talk about this and it could be a MAC specific problem.
For the guest:
What is the guest version that you are trying to get this to work on.
Is it updated to the latest build?
Have you installed the latest kernel-headers for the guest?
When you install the guest additions did you get any error messages?
And finally if you look in /var/log/ You will see vboxadd-install.log. Put a copy here so we can see it and try to help. (please put the log in a code block)
musicalmike235

Post by musicalmike235 »

I know my primary OS field says OSX, but right now I am running this little project in XP on a machine at work. The guest is ubuntu 9.04, and everything is up to date. Also, as I said, glxgears runs fine.

The log is so long that the thing won't let me post it here it says, "Your message contains 88334 characters. The maximum number of allowed characters is 60000." when I try to post it, but it does end in the line "Successfully completed"
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Cut it and send the last 1/4 of it. It has to show why you are having problems.
musicalmike235

Post by musicalmike235 »

Perryg wrote:Cut it and send the last 1/4 of it. It has to show why you are having problems.

gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.VBoxCalls.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.3/include -D__KERNEL__  -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include  -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iarch/x86/include/asm/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fwrapv -fshort-wchar -I/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DLOG_TO_BACKDOOR -DIN_MODULE -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(VBoxCalls)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvfs)"  -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_VBoxCalls.o /tmp/vbox.0/VBoxCalls.c
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/.alloc-r0drv.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.3/include -D__KERNEL__  -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include  -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iarch/x86/include/asm/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fwrapv -fshort-wchar -I/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DLOG_TO_BACKDOOR -DIN_MODULE -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(alloc_r0drv)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvfs)"  -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/.tmp_alloc-r0drv.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/alloc-r0drv.c
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/.memobj-r0drv.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.3/include -D__KERNEL__  -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include  -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iarch/x86/include/asm/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fwrapv -fshort-wchar -I/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DLOG_TO_BACKDOOR -DIN_MODULE -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(memobj_r0drv)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvfs)"  -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/.tmp_memobj-r0drv.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/memobj-r0drv.c
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.alloc-r0drv-linux.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.3/include -D__KERNEL__  -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include  -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iarch/x86/include/asm/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fwrapv -fshort-wchar -I/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DLOG_TO_BACKDOOR -DIN_MODULE -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(alloc_r0drv_linux)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvfs)"  -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.tmp_alloc-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/alloc-r0drv-linux.c
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.memobj-r0drv-linux.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.3/include -D__KERNEL__  -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include  -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iarch/x86/include/asm/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fwrapv -fshort-wchar -I/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DLOG_TO_BACKDOOR -DIN_MODULE -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(memobj_r0drv_linux)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvfs)"  -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.tmp_memobj-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.process-r0drv-linux.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.3/include -D__KERNEL__  -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include  -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iarch/x86/include/asm/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fwrapv -fshort-wchar -I/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DLOG_TO_BACKDOOR -DIN_MODULE -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(process_r0drv_linux)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvfs)"  -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.tmp_process-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/process-r0drv-linux.c
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.semevent-r0drv-linux.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.3/include -D__KERNEL__  -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include  -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iarch/x86/include/asm/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fwrapv -fshort-wchar -I/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DLOG_TO_BACKDOOR -DIN_MODULE -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(semevent_r0drv_linux)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvfs)"  -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.tmp_semevent-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/semevent-r0drv-linux.c
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.semfastmutex-r0drv-linux.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.3/include -D__KERNEL__  -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include  -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iarch/x86/include/asm/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fwrapv -fshort-wchar -I/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DLOG_TO_BACKDOOR -DIN_MODULE -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(semfastmutex_r0drv_linux)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvfs)"  -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.tmp_semfastmutex-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/semfastmutex-r0drv-linux.c
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.divdi3.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.3/include -D__KERNEL__  -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include  -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iarch/x86/include/asm/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fwrapv -fshort-wchar -I/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DLOG_TO_BACKDOOR -DIN_MODULE -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(divdi3)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvfs)"  -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_divdi3.o /tmp/vbox.0/divdi3.c
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.moddi3.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.3/include -D__KERNEL__  -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include  -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iarch/x86/include/asm/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fwrapv -fshort-wchar -I/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DLOG_TO_BACKDOOR -DIN_MODULE -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(moddi3)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvfs)"  -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_moddi3.o /tmp/vbox.0/moddi3.c
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.udivdi3.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.3/include -D__KERNEL__  -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include  -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iarch/x86/include/asm/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fwrapv -fshort-wchar -I/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DLOG_TO_BACKDOOR -DIN_MODULE -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(udivdi3)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvfs)"  -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_udivdi3.o /tmp/vbox.0/udivdi3.c
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.umoddi3.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.3/include -D__KERNEL__  -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include  -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iarch/x86/include/asm/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fwrapv -fshort-wchar -I/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DLOG_TO_BACKDOOR -DIN_MODULE -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(umoddi3)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvfs)"  -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_umoddi3.o /tmp/vbox.0/umoddi3.c
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.qdivrem.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.3/include -D__KERNEL__  -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include  -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iarch/x86/include/asm/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fwrapv -fshort-wchar -I/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DLOG_TO_BACKDOOR -DIN_MODULE -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(qdivrem)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvfs)"  -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_qdivrem.o /tmp/vbox.0/qdivrem.c
  ld -m elf_i386   -r -o /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvfs.o /tmp/vbox.0/vfsmod.o /tmp/vbox.0/dirops.o /tmp/vbox.0/regops.o /tmp/vbox.0/utils.o /tmp/vbox.0/GenericRequest.o /tmp/vbox.0/SysHlp.o /tmp/vbox.0/PhysHeap.o /tmp/vbox.0/Init.o /tmp/vbox.0/VMMDev.o /tmp/vbox.0/HGCM.o /tmp/vbox.0/VBoxCalls.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/alloc-r0drv.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/memobj-r0drv.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/alloc-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/process-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/semevent-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/semfastmutex-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/divdi3.o /tmp/vbox.0/moddi3.o /tmp/vbox.0/udivdi3.o /tmp/vbox.0/umoddi3.o /tmp/vbox.0/qdivrem.o 
(cat /dev/null;   echo kernel//tmp/vbox.0/vboxvfs.ko;) > /tmp/vbox.0/modules.order
  Building modules, stage 2.
make -f /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/scripts/Makefile.modpost
/tmp/vbox.0/Makefile:55: Using BUILD_TYPE='release' from the environment.
  scripts/mod/modpost -m -a -i /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/Module.symvers -I /tmp/vbox.0/Module.symvers  -o /tmp/vbox.0/Module.symvers -S -K /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/Module.markers -M /tmp/vbox.0/Module.markers -w  -s
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.vboxvfs.mod.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.3/include -D__KERNEL__  -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include  -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iarch/x86/include/asm/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fwrapv -fshort-wchar -I/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DLOG_TO_BACKDOOR -DIN_MODULE -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DRT_ARCH_X86  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvfs.mod)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvfs)"  -DMODULE -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvfs.mod.o /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvfs.mod.c
  ld -r -m elf_i386  --build-id -o /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvfs.ko /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvfs.o /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvfs.mod.o

Building the drm support kernel module.

Makefile:57: Using BUILD_TYPE='release' from the environment.
make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 -C /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 modules
test -e include/linux/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (		\
	echo;								\
	echo "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";		\
	echo "         include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";	\
	echo "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";	\
	echo;								\
	/bin/false)
mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions/*
make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0
/tmp/vbox.0/Makefile:57: Using BUILD_TYPE='release' from the environment.
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.vboxvideo_drm.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.3/include -D__KERNEL__  -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include  -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iarch/x86/include/asm/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fwrapv -fshort-wchar -I/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DLOG_TO_BACKDOOR -DIN_MODULE -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvideo_drm)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvideo)"  -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_vboxvideo_drm.o /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.c
  ld -m elf_i386   -r -o /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo.o /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo_drm.o 
(cat /dev/null;   echo kernel//tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo.ko;) > /tmp/vbox.0/modules.order
  Building modules, stage 2.
make -f /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/scripts/Makefile.modpost
/tmp/vbox.0/Makefile:57: Using BUILD_TYPE='release' from the environment.
  scripts/mod/modpost -m -a -i /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/Module.symvers -I /tmp/vbox.0/Module.symvers  -o /tmp/vbox.0/Module.symvers -S -K /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/Module.markers -M /tmp/vbox.0/Module.markers -w  -s
  gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.vboxvideo.mod.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.3/include -D__KERNEL__  -Iinclude  -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include  -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iarch/x86/include/asm/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fwrapv -fshort-wchar -I/lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DVBOX_WITH_HGCM -DLOG_TO_BACKDOOR -DIN_MODULE -DIN_GUEST_R0 -DRT_ARCH_X86  -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvideo.mod)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxvideo)"  -DMODULE -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo.mod.o /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo.mod.c
  ld -r -m elf_i386  --build-id -o /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo.ko /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo.o /tmp/vbox.0/vboxvideo.mod.o
Installing the Guest Additions kernel module system service.
Installing the shared folder system service.
Installing the time synchronisation system service.
Installing the VBoxControl command line interface.
Installing the X Window System user service.
install_x11_startup_app(): dest is vboxclient.desktop
install_x11_startup_app(): executing install -m 0644 vboxclient.desktop /etc/xdg/autostart/vboxclient.desktop
install_x11_startup_app(): executing install -m 0644 98vboxadd-xclient /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98vboxadd-xclient
Creating udev rule for the Guest Additions kernel module.
Installing the X Window System drivers
Installing experimental Xorg Server 1.6 modules

Successfully completed.
here it is
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

You can also attach the log file.

As for the work machine you're testing it on, which graphics card does it have? It's possible, and very likely, that it has an Intel Integrated Graphics card, and that one doesn't support OpenGL through it's Windows drivers. The reason glxgears work, is due to software rendering. Check the first part of the log, it should state which OpenGL provider is used. In the Guest, check glxinfo. If there is any form of MESA there, then you're on software rendering. The following is taken from direct hardware installations, but will reflect the difference you need to look for.
This is my PC, which uses the propretairy nVidia driver and gives me full direct rendering:

name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 7800 GTX/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 180.44
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
And this is my laptop, running on the open source ATi driver (RadeonHD) and doesn't give the proper info you would expect.

name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.4
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20[/quote]