When the BETA2?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Lord_ZealoN

When the BETA2?

Post by Lord_ZealoN »

Hi, in other post I asked for USB support and someody answered me thath in BETA2 will work correctly. He told me about the release of BETA2 in past weekend but at the moment, there aren't this BETA2 out.

Someone knows when BETA2 will be ready to download and test?

Cheers.
achimha
Volunteer

Post by achimha »

We're working on it, USB needs some more fixes and testing. Currently, the focus is on the upcoming 1.4 release so there is not much time for the Mac version these days.
Lord_ZealoN

Post by Lord_ZealoN »

Some news about this?
newhere123

Post by newhere123 »

Form June 7:
The Mac host is still beta. We plan to do a beta 2 next week (version 1.4.1) with USB support. The Mac will be part of the standard release cycle once it has left the beta test phase (i.e. when all features have been implemented).

I have parallels 2.5 which I already bought, but this one looks like it might eventually get better (and for free; it will remain free, right?).
newhere123

Post by newhere123 »

I guess things haven't been going as 'plan'ned. Where is the next beta? It was supposed to be made weeks ago...?
PuNkErX

Post by PuNkErX »

I hope it comes out soon, as much as I love using VirtualBox I can't use it for anything productive since it can't do bridged networking yet.

That is the only thing I wish they would work on for OS X. I love the multiple snapshots, speed, etc., but that is the only thing killin it for me.

I so wish there was a way for me to help, but I am not much of a programmer, lol
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

By the time being, you can try "Hamachi VPN" to access your guests. Other types of VPN/Tunneling software should work as well.
achimha
Volunteer

Post by achimha »

Bridged networking won't be in Beta 2 unfortunately. Beta 2 is almost ready though, just some more USB testing. Sorry it is taking so long, we got sidetracked by other things and couldn't spend as much time on the Mac port as anticipated.
jdogg

Happy to Hear About Beta 2

Post by jdogg »

Glad to hear beta 2 is on the way. Keep up the good work.
I guess no one can really complain when it is free. :lol:

Thanks again for all the hard work.
PEACE!!
Son of a Beach

Post by Son of a Beach »

Just wanted to concur that bridged networking is the only thing holding me back from ditching Parallels at the moment. I need this for my daily use.

Other than that, Virtual Box is sooo much better than Parallels for me, just because of its superior performance (and the price helps).
kettcar

Post by kettcar »

achimha wrote:Bridged networking won't be in Beta 2 unfortunately. Beta 2 is almost ready though, just some more USB testing. Sorry it is taking so long, we got sidetracked by other things and couldn't spend as much time on the Mac port as anticipated.
VirtualBox is a major step onto open-source-virtualisation, but BootCamp-Support is still missing for me.

Greetings, Steve
kettcar

Post by kettcar »

Any news about the next beta release date?
achimha
Volunteer

Post by achimha »

Later today I hope. We just discovered that the OS X 10.4.10 update breaks USB storage support but we will not further delay the release because of this.
achimha
Volunteer

Post by achimha »

Beta 2 has just been released (go to the download section). It will be announced later today (provided that no major regressions have slipped in). Feedback would be appreciated.
Son of a Beach

Post by Son of a Beach »

Hey Achima! Thanks for all the effort you guys are putting into this. Downloading now.

Finished downloading. Love the picture in the "About" window. But what is the symbol on the Tambourine? I think I've got all the others.