No internet running Win7 VM on Vista Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mikecoscia
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win7

No internet running Win7 VM on Vista Host

Post by mikecoscia »

Win7 installed fine and everything works except internet. On the host Vista machine, I have a VirtualBox Host-Only Network that is unidentified and set to private. Win7 network settings in VB are set to the default NAT. If I change it to bridged and select my network controller it works fine. However my host machine disappears from my home network and is replaced with the Win7 VM. Is there anyway to get both machines to appear on the network? From what I read in the manual pdf, the default settings should work and both host and VM should be visible on the network. Sorry if questions seem noobish. New to this virtual machine stuff, checked the pdf and searched the forums and could not find any answers. Thanks.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: No internet running Win7 VM on Vista Host

Post by Perryg »

mikecoscia wrote:Win7 installed fine and everything works except internet. On the host Vista machine, I have a VirtualBox Host-Only Network that is unidentified and set to private. Win7 network settings in VB are set to the default NAT. If I change it to bridged and select my network controller it works fine. However my host machine disappears from my home network and is replaced with the Win7 VM. Is there anyway to get both machines to appear on the network? From what I read in the manual pdf, the default settings should work and both host and VM should be visible on the network. Sorry if questions seem noobish. New to this virtual machine stuff, checked the pdf and searched the forums and could not find any answers. Thanks.
You should use Bridged network for this. Set it up in the VBox GUI. You will need to stop (shut down) the guest before you will be able to make these changes.
I am not sure what you mean about the host machine disappears. It does not disappear for me. Maybe if you provide a little more information it will be clearer.