Discuss VirtualBox 2.2.0 Release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Discuss VirtualBox 2.2.0 Release

Post by Sasquatch »

w00dy wrote:hi,

i also post that question in another thread...

my new installation of vb 2.2 and ubuntu 8.10 works fine until i activate the opengl-mode.

the 3d-effect works fine, but my mouse pointer is invisbible??????

any idea how i can fix this?

thx
Stick to one topic. I already replied to your topic.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
pme127

Post by pme127 »

Does VirtualBox 2.2.0 mount the host floppy in the guests yet? A long standing problem with all VirtualBox editions.

I am still using VB 1.5.0, will my (1.5.0) Virtual HDs work in VB 2.2.0, and will Guest Additions and Shared Folders be available at the click of a menu in Linux Guests yet?
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

pme127 wrote:Does VirtualBox 2.2.0 mount the host floppy in the guests yet? A long standing problem with all VirtualBox editions.

I am still using VB 1.5.0, will my (1.5.0) Virtual HDs work in VB 2.2.0, and will Guest Additions and Shared Folders be available at the click of a menu in Linux Guests yet?
Floppies still work, though it does have it quirks every now and then.

What do you mean with the GA in Linux Guests? Check my howtos in the Linux Guests forum.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.

Leonid
Volunteer

Post by Leonid »

w00dy wrote: the 3d-effect works fine, but my mouse pointer is invisbible??????
thx
Disable mouse pointer integration, else mouse pointer would be invisible with guest compiz.
rmannstaedt
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: windows xp, ubuntu

Post by rmannstaedt »

gerrity wrote:Running 2.2.0 r45846...
I've upgraded on three machines that were previously running 2.1.4. Same problem occurs on all. The VM gets paused with low-host memory error. Thing is, the same VDI's ran on the exact same machines in 2.1.4 without low host memory error. I've dropped guest memory usage to get to work, but why would I want to drop from 2GB on Guest to 1GB when host has 4GB??
I have the exact same problem. Windows host: XP Pro w. 4 GB RAM (2.93 GB usable), Guests: XP Pro. Could run 3 VMs concurrently on 2.1.4. Now - on 2.2.0 - I can run only one.
Additionally, there seems to be problems with the "Shared Folders" functionality: 2 out of 3 times I try to use it the guest OS bluescreens.
I have given up and gone back to 2.1.4 until this is fixed.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

rmannstaedt wrote:
gerrity wrote:Running 2.2.0 r45846...
I've upgraded on three machines that were previously running 2.1.4. Same problem occurs on all. The VM gets paused with low-host memory error. Thing is, the same VDI's ran on the exact same machines in 2.1.4 without low host memory error. I've dropped guest memory usage to get to work, but why would I want to drop from 2GB on Guest to 1GB when host has 4GB??
I have the exact same problem. Windows host: XP Pro w. 4 GB RAM (2.93 GB usable), Guests: XP Pro. Could run 3 VMs concurrently on 2.1.4. Now - on 2.2.0 - I can run only one.
Additionally, there seems to be problems with the "Shared Folders" functionality: 2 out of 3 times I try to use it the guest OS bluescreens.
I have given up and gone back to 2.1.4 until this is fixed.
I am running 4 VMs as I write this running at the same time. Ubuntu 8.04, 9.04 win server 2003 ent as AD server, and XPpro. and it is all on VBox2.2 so I must thing that it is a configuration issue. Host has 4 gig of which only 3.2 are really usable. I have not seen any of the low memory problems as most but then again I do not give gigs of memory to the guests. I run the linux servers at 256 to 512 and the others at 512. They are fast and other than taking a few seconds longer to boot they do the work that I need to do almost as fast as real time. The only exception to this is Solaris. It will not load nor can I use it if I do not give it 1024. As for the windows guests I find that you must use standard memory allocation or they will crash and sometimes not even start. 128, 256, 512, up to 1024.
rmannstaedt

Post by rmannstaedt »

gerrity wrote:I am running 4 VMs as I write this running at the same time. Ubuntu 8.04, 9.04 win server 2003 ent as AD server, and XPpro. and it is all on VBox2.2 so I must thing that it is a configuration issue. Host has 4 gig of which only 3.2 are really usable. I have not seen any of the low memory problems as most but then again I do not give gigs of memory to the guests. I run the linux servers at 256 to 512 and the others at 512. They are fast and other than taking a few seconds longer to boot they do the work that I need to do almost as fast as real time. The only exception to this is Solaris. It will not load nor can I use it if I do not give it 1024. As for the windows guests I find that you must use standard memory allocation or they will crash and sometimes not even start. 128, 256, 512, up to 1024.
Well, I have to give rather sizable chunks of memory to my guests because of the programs I run on them. But it may be a configuration issue, of course, though I doubt it. But for what it's worth my stats are:

Host: Windows XP service pack 3, fully patched. 4GB physical RAM, 2.93 GB of which is usable. Antivirus: NOD32 v4. Firewall: Outpost Pro 2009.

Starts the following guests in sequence:

Guest 1: Windows XP service pack 3, fully patched. 832 MB RAM allocated.
On VirtualBox 2.1.4: startup and runs without problems.
On VirtualBox 2.2.0: startup and runs without problems.

Guest 2: Windows XP service pack 3, fully patched. 832 MB RAM allocated. Startup is fine, but VirtualBox pauses the guest during at the Windows login screen due to "low memory" error on host.
On VirtualBox 2.1.4: startup and runs without problems (concurrently with guest 1).
On VirtualBox 2.2.0: paused during windows login with a "low memory on host" error.

Guest 3: Windows XP service pack 3, fully patched. 384 MB RAM allocated.
On VirtualBox 2.1.4: startup and runs without problems (concurrently with guests 1 and 2).
On VirtualBox 2.2.0: (not tried as guest 2 already failed and guests 1 and 2 are the truly important ones for me).

All guests are setup the same way, except for memory allocation:
OS Type: Windows XP
Video Memory: 12 MB
Boot order: Hard Disk
ACPI: enabled
IP APIC: Disabled
VT-x/AMD-V: disabled (due to a conflict with guest firewall: Outpost Pro 2009)
Nested Paging: disabled (not supported by my CPU)
PAE/NX: disabled
3D Acceleration: enabled
SATA emulation enabled for all hard disks.
Sasquatch
Volunteer

Post by Sasquatch »

Leonid wrote:
thx
Disable mouse pointer integration, else mouse pointer would be invisible with guest compiz.
Really? I see the Guest cursor just fine with Compiz-Fusion and mouse integration. You say the exact oposite in another thread :?.

sej7278
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

Sasquatch wrote:
Leonid wrote:
thx
Really? I see the Guest cursor just fine with Compiz-Fusion and mouse integration. You say the exact oposite in another thread :?.
yeah if you read my post earlier in this thread, i had to install GA's three times before i got mouse integration, visible pointer and compiz working, definitely something funky about the way ubuntu handles the installation as redhat/debian managed fine.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

rmannstaedt wrote:
gerrity wrote:I am running 4 VMs as I write this running at the same time. Ubuntu 8.04, 9.04 win server 2003 ent as AD server, and XPpro. and it is all on VBox2.2 so I must thing that it is a configuration issue. Host has 4 gig of which only 3.2 are really usable. I have not seen any of the low memory problems as most but then again I do not give gigs of memory to the guests. I run the linux servers at 256 to 512 and the others at 512. They are fast and other than taking a few seconds longer to boot they do the work that I need to do almost as fast as real time. The only exception to this is Solaris. It will not load nor can I use it if I do not give it 1024. As for the windows guests I find that you must use standard memory allocation or they will crash and sometimes not even start. 128, 256, 512, up to 1024.
Well, I have to give rather sizable chunks of memory to my guests because of the programs I run on them. But it may be a configuration issue, of course, though I doubt it. But for what it's worth my stats are:

Host: Windows XP service pack 3, fully patched. 4GB physical RAM, 2.93 GB of which is usable. Antivirus: NOD32 v4. Firewall: Outpost Pro 2009.

Starts the following guests in sequence:

Guest 1: Windows XP service pack 3, fully patched. 832 MB RAM allocated.
On VirtualBox 2.1.4: startup and runs without problems.
On VirtualBox 2.2.0: startup and runs without problems.

Guest 2: Windows XP service pack 3, fully patched. 832 MB RAM allocated. Startup is fine, but VirtualBox pauses the guest during at the Windows login screen due to "low memory" error on host.
On VirtualBox 2.1.4: startup and runs without problems (concurrently with guest 1).
On VirtualBox 2.2.0: paused during windows login with a "low memory on host" error.

Guest 3: Windows XP service pack 3, fully patched. 384 MB RAM allocated.
On VirtualBox 2.1.4: startup and runs without problems (concurrently with guests 1 and 2).
On VirtualBox 2.2.0: (not tried as guest 2 already failed and guests 1 and 2 are the truly important ones for me).

All guests are setup the same way, except for memory allocation:
OS Type: Windows XP
Video Memory: 12 MB
Boot order: Hard Disk
ACPI: enabled
IP APIC: Disabled
VT-x/AMD-V: disabled (due to a conflict with guest firewall: Outpost Pro 2009)
Nested Paging: disabled (not supported by my CPU)
PAE/NX: disabled
3D Acceleration: enabled
SATA emulation enabled for all hard disks.

You do realize that turning the 3D effects on are going to use more system resources right? Not just video memory. Try with them off and see if you get to where you need.
I would assume that they were not turned on in 2.14. I did not have them on in 2.14 but have noticed that using them causes my memory usage to go up quite a bit in Vista.
rmannstaedt

Post by rmannstaedt »

Perryg wrote:You do realize that turning the 3D effects on are going to use more system resources right? Not just video memory. Try with them off and see if you get to where you need.
I would assume that they were not turned on in 2.14. I did not have them on in 2.14 but have noticed that using them causes my memory usage to go up quite a bit in Vista.
Good point, thanks. But no, I did have 3D acceleration turned on in 2.1.4 as well. The effect on screen update is noticable. And yes, I could live without it if it helped.
Actually: the configuration is (was) *exactly* the same in 2.2.0 as in 2.1.4.

However, right now I truly do not have any reason to upgrade: version 2.1.4 works quite well for me and the only noticeable difference by upgrading - right now - would be that I can no longer run my large-RAM VMs concurrently and that Shared Folders no longer works (actually: blue-screens the guest).

It seems to me, based on the various reports in the forum, that for some reason the Windows version of 2.2.0 can only utilize approx. half the physical RAM in the machine. At least one person with 8GB in his machine said that he had no real problem until he reached 4GB allocated RAM, and several other people reported similar behaviour with other configurations. But this is a speculation only - I don't really have the time to take a look at the code and try to pin-point the problem exactly. Which also means that I really do appreciate the huge effort people are putting into the development of VirtualBox. Thanks guys. :) But right now, I will wait until a fix is out.

[ed.: typos, clarification]
Last edited by rmannstaedt on 12. Apr 2009, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.
oceallaighm

Post by oceallaighm »

Host Ubuntu 8.10 x86_64. I used Synaptic to uninstall 2.1.4 and then installed 2.2. Results on both guests Ubuntu 9.04 and Windows XP SP3 (both 32 bit) ,I have lost my hif connection. On the host in VirtualBox settings, network, adapter 2, attached to and then the tool symbol click on this, bridged and host are greyed out, only internal is available. Though here no network devices are presented as being available. In Ubuntu 9.04 having updated guest additions to 2.2, I have also lost nat. ifconfig gives no ip address for eth0 in the guest. In Windows XP SP3 as I have not yet upgraded the guest additions so I still have a nat connection and as the shared folders now work I technically no longer need hif. What I do need however is a link to the Guest Additions for 2.1.4 so that I can restore the nat connection in the Ubuntu 9.04 guest. Many thanks.

Ps. I have just discovered that I have also lost the hif connection on the Windows 7 guest, unfortunately unlike XP, shared folders has never worked and the only way of sharing a folder with the host was by using hif. For the moment I am not going to upgrade the Windows guests to the 2.2 guest additions.

Additional, new vm, first adapter nat, 2nd bridged which as I understand from the manual is now as "Bridged network was formerly called "Host Interface Networking" and has been renamed with version 2.2 without any change in functionality, start VM VirtualBox - Error Failed to start the Virtual Machine "X" Failed to open/create the internal network' HostInterfaceNetworking-eth0' (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND). Unknown error creating VM (VERR_SUPDRV_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND) Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x800004005) Component: Console Interface: IConsole {9511bc54-15ee-4ddf-808e-472aba03809c}. So it is not just with existing VM's that I have a problem with the Bridged Networking formelly HIF but with new one's as well. In VirtualBox settings Network, should I have something here as the add remove and tool icon are greyed out? Does the Ubuntu 8.10 x86_64 host need additional networking software installed? Appreciate any pointers, thanks.
Last edited by oceallaighm on 11. Apr 2009, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
belzecue
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP, Ubuntu

Post by belzecue »

I'm getting the same 'r6025' message and application crash when trying to set up a shared folder for an Ubuntu 8.10 VM on a Win7beta host. I can't do without shared folders so I'll have to roll back to 2.1.4 until this is fixed.

Also, with 3D enabled in the VM, quite a few screensavers in Ubuntu 8.10 will similarly kill virtualbox when running on my Win7beta host.
marco

Post by marco »

What about the huge size increase of the installation file?
214's msi file was 37MB while 220's exe is 63!!

I'm not complaining, I'm just curious.
Why did it need to become so big?