Discuss VirtualBox 2.2.0 Release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Re: Discuss VirtualBox 2.2.0 Release

Post by vbox4me2 »

Those dealing with "which one do I need with vista64" questions are extreemly happy I can tell you :mrgreen:
taloche

Post by taloche »

Hello,

Two major issue:

First : Runtime Error on windows host when i add a share directory in Virtualbox.exe : R6025 : Pure virtual function call. This dead virtualbox.
Second : The mouse lost the integration cursor. Guest addiction instaled.
MrEasy
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows

Post by MrEasy »

carokant wrote:Just downloaded the windows version of VB2.2.0, and hit problems (for the first time using VB!):

Is there now only one version - and not versions for x86 and AMD64?

The windows version refused to install on my x86 system running windows 2003 server, and ended with the message that "an error has occurred" ... but gives no clue as to what the error might be. Anyone else hitting a similar problem?

carokant
Also unable to install - had 2.2.0 beta2 running without problems before.

---- obsolete
Now even worse: Uninstalling 2.2.0 beta2 also ran into this problem; after removing it manually I'm stuck without anything working - anybody having still the beta2-installer?

Any possibility to make the installer more verbose to give me a clue what the problem might be?
----

Deselected host-only-networking during install and it worked without problem. Also adding the host-only network adapter later is working.
taloche

Post by taloche »

Another issue : can' t start virtual windows guest if memory is more than 1309 mo. Virtualbox say Low memory. AT 1309 it's ok, at 1341 not.
taloche

Post by taloche »

taloche wrote:Hello,

Two major issue:

First : Runtime Error on windows host when i add a share directory in Virtualbox.exe : R6025 : Pure virtual function call. This dead virtualbox.
Second : The mouse lost the integration cursor. Guest addiction instaled.
No issue with another virtual windows guest with the old guestaddition (2.1.4).
The limit for the low memory is arround 1327 mo on this.
maxmorio
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Linux (Debian 5.0; Fedora10), Win7

Post by maxmorio »

Have exactly the same issue like Corokant and MrEasy !
Using WinXPsp3 as host, VB 2.2.0 can't be installed (ending 'prematurely' at install procedure)
VB 2.2.0 beta2 can neither be uninstalled nor repaired via winxp system settings. The beta2 setup still seems to work...
MrEasy wrote: Also unable to install - had 2.2.0 beta2 running without problems before.

---- obsolete
Now even worse: Uninstalling 2.2.0 beta2 also ran into this problem; after removing it manually I'm stuck without anything working - anybody having still the beta2-installer?

Any possibility to make the installer more verbose to give me a clue what the problem might be?
----

Deselected host-only-networking during install and it worked without problem. Also adding the host-only network adapter later is working.
@MrEasy: How did yout deselect "HostOnlyNetworking" during install? Do you mean deselecting "VirtualBox Networking" at "Custom Setup" when going through the setup wizard?
Unfortunately, this did not work for me.

Same error occured when extracting with

Code: Select all

VirtualBox-2.2.0-45846-Win.exe -extract
msiecex /i VirtualB....x86.msi
at CMD-line.

Any ideas someone?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Must be a Windows issue, I can set my VM to use 1536 just fine, that's half of my Host RAM (got 3 GB). Though my system stays somewhat stable at 1,3 GB used, that's about 1 GB less then total allocated to the VM including my system resources itself (I used 800 MB before starting the VM). The VM uses less than 300 MB too.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Serpen

Post by Serpen »

I head some problems while installing/uninstalling the previous beta, installer asked for the driver disk for the network driver. After some reboots the setup worked fine. :?

But I can't connect to the Internet via NAT, I tried to set it manually but don't know which address scope is right. :(
Okay i found the right IPs 10.0.2.15, SN 255.255.255.0, GW 10.0.2.2 (i tried first the .1). But would be very sad if it only works via manual config.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Serpen wrote:I head some problems while installing/uninstalling the previous beta, installer asked for the driver disk for the network driver. After some reboots the setup worked fine. :?

But I can't connect to the Internet via NAT, I tried to set it manually but don't know which address scope is right. :(
NAT is DHCP. Set it to that, and you will have internet. Else 10.0.2.2 gateway, .3 for DNS, .15 for the OS itself. Setting it as static is not advised. If that fails, check the VirtualBox FAQ.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
vumax

Post by vumax »

I've installed 2.2.0 over 2.1.4 and had no Bridged adapter to choose. So I repaired 2.2.0 installation and rebooted as suggested by installer. And it works fine...
I also receive error HostMemoryLow on Windows x64 and Vista x64 hosts but not on Ubuntu 8.10 x64 host nor in any case on older VB 2.1.4?????
alvarf
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by alvarf »

I´m running version 2.1.4 and want to upgrade to 2.2.0, but when I run the packager installer to install 2.2.0 is delivers the following error message: Error: Conflicts with the installed package 'virtualbox-2-1' resulting in not able to install the 2.2.0. package.
redxii

Post by redxii »

Sasquatch wrote:NAT is DHCP. Set it to that, and you will have internet. Else 10.0.2.2 gateway, .3 for DNS, .15 for the OS itself. Setting it as static is not advised. If that fails, check the VirtualBox FAQ.
I posted on the first page of this thread that I am unable to get the guest to obtain an IP via DHCP using NAT, seems I got ignored, and had to set the IP manually to get it to work. The FAQ doesn't mention anything about this problem, it's new to 2.2.0. If you know what or how to determine the problem from a log, then please comment here: http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/3655
Coimbra
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Kubuntu

Post by Coimbra »

MrEasy wrote:
carokant wrote:Just downloaded the windows version of VB2.2.0, and hit problems (for the first time using VB!):

Is there now only one version - and not versions for x86 and AMD64?

The windows version refused to install on my x86 system running windows 2003 server, and ended with the message that "an error has occurred" ... but gives no clue as to what the error might be. Anyone else hitting a similar problem?

carokant
Also unable to install - had 2.2.0 beta2 running without problems before.

---- obsolete

----

I can't install the new version because end permaturatly and I can't unistall the version I have (v 2.2 beta2).

Any fix to this problem?
AntiMatter
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.04
Guest OSses: All Windows (x32 & x64), Linux

Post by AntiMatter »

Installation FAILED (Ubuntu 8.10 x64, up to date 2009-04-08)

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i virtualbox-2.2_2.2.0-45846_Ubuntu_intrepid_amd64.deb 
dpkg: regarding virtualbox-2.2_2.2.0-45846_Ubuntu_intrepid_amd64.deb containing virtualbox-2.2:
 virtualbox-2.2 conflicts with virtualbox
  virtualbox-2.1 provides virtualbox and is present and installed.
dpkg: error processing virtualbox-2.2_2.2.0-45846_Ubuntu_intrepid_amd64.deb (--install):
 conflicting packages - not installing virtualbox-2.2
Errors were encountered while processing:
 virtualbox-2.2_2.2.0-45846_Ubuntu_intrepid_amd64.deb
MikeDiack
Primary OS: MS Windows 8.1
Guest OSses: Win 10, Win 7, XP, Linux, Win 8.1, Win 2000, Win NT 4

Post by MikeDiack »

Virtual Box 2.2.0 memory problems:

Like Jason and others on my 2GB RAM XP Pro SP32 bit host, I run into problems if trying to create a VM of 1GB or more. It crashes soon after the VM (Windows 7, Vista or XP SP3) starts. This wasn't occuring in 2.1.4 (in fact I could easily run 1280Mbyte VM's), but was occuring in 2.2.0 beta 2 (I raised a bug, as did others for the very same issue - in 2.2.0 beta 2 - the system crashed with a "guru Meditation").

Please fix this. I've had to roll back to 2.1.4

Mike

See Jason's post:

"Running 2.2.0 r45846...

I've upgraded on three machines that were previously running 2.1.4. Same problem occurs on all. The VM gets paused with low-host memory error. Thing is, the same VDI's ran on the exact same machines in 2.1.4 without low host memory error. I've dropped guest memory usage to get to work, but why would I want to drop from 2GB on Guest to 1GB when host has 4GB??

In all cases, the guest O/S is Xp Pro and the host O/X varies. One is XP Pro, one is Vista32 and one Vista 64.

What's up with the low host memory issue now appearing on all my installs?

Thanks,
Jason"