bridge network

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
kraja

bridge network

Post by kraja »

Hello, i have this problem:
my "mother" pc run on windows xp and this setting of network:
IP Address - 192.168.1.102
Netmask - 255.255.255.0
Gate - 192.168.1.1

IP address distribute DHCP: http://www.sdilej.net/view_image/9c0031147/dhcp.PNG

I have second install win xp in virtual box and i want to get this virtual machine get ip from my dhcp.

Now ipconfig of "children" looks following:
IP Address - 10.0.2.15
Netmask - 255.255.255.0
Gate - 10.0.2.2

What i do?

Thank you.
kylehayes

Post by kylehayes »

Yes, I am interested in getting Bridged networking as well so that my guest OS receives an IP address from the DHCP server instead of my local machine.
shinji
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Starter

Post by shinji »

I would also like a "clean" way of doing this. The way it describes it in the manual isn't really acceptable as it can cause issues if both the adapters in the bridge are not active.

The way it describes it is to set the NIC to use the host network and create a virtual adapter then in windows create a bridge between your physical adapter and the virtual adapter.

This doesn't always work as expected. Both Parallels and VMWare use a form of virtual bridge that allows the VM to go through the currently active network adapter to get an ip and is much cleaner of a setup.

BTW, if this not yet an implemented feature then might I suggest that it be implemented so that you can either have it automatically bridge to an adapter that is active or to be set to a specific adapter ala VMWare?

EDIT: I don't know if anyone read this already but I thought to let you know something here. Wireless adapters don't always bridge properly in Windows. They will report connected to the bridge (so it reports bridged) but does not pass on the IP address at all and therefore the Network Bridge is internally assigned an address beginning with 169. Please note that my wireless adapter does work properly with the bridge setup that VMWare and Parallels use.
shinji

Post by shinji »

Ok. I found out how to do this. Do the following and alot of this is per the VirtualBox documentation and a small bit comes via the help of a Microsoft Knowledge Base article.

Setup your Virtual Machine to use a Host Interface. Create a Host Interface and name it something. It doesn't matter but make note of it if you need to. For the purpose of this document I will call it "VirtualBox Host Interface".

Now go to Network connections and highlight both the real adapter and the new virtual one that you just created. Right-click them and select "Bridge Connections". This will create a Network Bridge in Windows.

The last thing is make sure the Network Bridge is reporting an IP address and that it has connectivity. If you cannot get on the internet then a little troubleshooting is in order.

The first thing that may happen is if you attempt to bring a wireless adapter into a network bridge. Most do not support promiscuous mode properly if at all. Virtually all of them will report they can be bridged but will not do so properly. The following article will work around that issue and allow you to get connectivity again.

Bridge May Not Work With a Non-Promiscuous Mode Network Adapter
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302348

Windows XP Bridging and Media Support for Home Networking (look close to the end of the article)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 57038.aspx

Now this applies to non-wireless adapters too however I have yet to see a wired adapter have this issue.

Now then if Innotek can implement Virtual Bridge support then we wouldn't have this issue. :wink:
MikeDevon

Post by MikeDevon »

Many thanks shinji, that worked for me and was exactly what I was after - saved me a lot of time.
shinji

Post by shinji »

Glad that worked for you MikeDevon. I did find that it doesn't work well with every router out there. Some will give you a new ip address if there is already a lease but there are some that will give back the same address previously assigned to your host so it will result in an ip address conflict. I filed a defect report per innoTek's request.

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/735

If I find any routers that don't work right with this setup I will put it in this defect report. So far the only known router that does not work with this setup is the 2wire wireless gateway routers that are sold by some dsl providers.
chanfs
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: ubuntu, windows server 2003 and 2008, freebsd, openbsd

Re: bridge network

Post by chanfs »

Hi

I would like to share my experience with bridge networking in virtualbox

http://fooksheng.blogspot.com/2009/06/u ... albox.html

fook sheng
dum_dum
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Other

Post by dum_dum »

I read your worked experience and so i set bridget network with ethernet adapter. I turn off all firewalls. When i try to open http://www.google.com
does not open anything. When ping my PC and access rooter everything is ok. I try with Ubuntu and WindowsXP VirtualBox machines but nothing.
shinji

Post by shinji »

Bridge network works fine with recent versions. They changed the way it is done starting with 2.0 I think so it works fine on both wired and wireless networks. You shouldn't need to use my method any more.
dramirez

Post by dramirez »

For current 3.0.10 version, being "Mercury" the name of one of my VMs :

$ VBoxManage modifyvm "Mercury" -nic1 bridged --bridgeadapter1 eth0

I could repeat this for other VMs in my same hosts just replacing the name of the VM... I got them seeing each other, pinging etc.