Problems setting up VPM from XP guest.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
arwel
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win xp

Problems setting up VPM from XP guest.

Post by arwel »

Hi,
I'm brand new to mac (just got the machine yesterday! :o), but have used windows for a while.
I've just installed Virtualbox and put XP as the guest (not sure of my host OS version number come to think of it... but its a brand new mac so that should give enough info no??) . Evereything seems to have worked fine, in that I can access the internet from xp with no problems, but I can't set up a VPN. It finds the server, but refuses to connect. Well, actually it connects, then gets to the authentication, and then I get "Error 721, The remote computer did not respond".
Any guidance as to where I should start with this problem would be very much appreciated.
Cheers,
arwel

p.s.
I just checked the uname / password on an xp PC upstairs (i.e. going through the same broadband connection) and that worked fine.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Problems setting up VPM from XP guest.

Post by Perryg »

arwel wrote:Hi,
I'm brand new to mac (just got the machine yesterday! :o), but have used windows for a while.
I've just installed Virtualbox and put XP as the guest (not sure of my host OS version number come to think of it... but its a brand new mac so that should give enough info no??) . Evereything seems to have worked fine, in that I can access the internet from xp with no problems, but I can't set up a VPN. It finds the server, but refuses to connect. Well, actually it connects, then gets to the authentication, and then I get "Error 721, The remote computer did not respond".
Any guidance as to where I should start with this problem would be very much appreciated.
Cheers,
arwel

p.s.
I just checked the uname / password on an xp PC upstairs (i.e. going through the same broadband connection) and that worked fine.
Lookie lookie he's a Jedi alright,

Went to google and typed in error 721
Google shows this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888201

Firewall?
arwel

Post by arwel »

Hmmm, nope. Turned of the firewall just to check and.... it made no difference.
Perhaps the force is not quite with you today my friend.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

arwel wrote:Hmmm, nope. Turned of the firewall just to check and.... it made no difference.
Perhaps the force is not quite with you today my friend.
Hey I found the link without too much trouble.
As a Jedi master I was showing you that you should type error 721 vpn in google. There you will find what it is you are looking for.

Seriously that is what you need to look at. I found it full of resolves and one of them might just apply for you.

This is really a problem with the OS and not the virtual software. Since I am not a MAC guy I can not help with that but it sounds to me like something is missing. If not the firewall, what about the protocol? PPP, PPTP, MAC uses apple talk right? Is there something there that you should be looking at? Did you check the firewall in the guest and the host?
arwel

Post by arwel »

Google firewall in guest and host I shall. Problem in them there may be.
But, the response from the server ultimately needs to chug it's way from the host to the guest. If it looks like that's being held up in some strange way, I'll let the wider community know.
ta
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

arwel wrote:Google firewall in guest and host I shall. Problem in them there may be.
But, the response from the server ultimately needs to chug it's way from the host to the guest. If it looks like that's being held up in some strange way, I'll let the wider community know.
ta
I did some more looking and a lot of people were talking about the port not working in their router (most of the wireless with ports)
Suggestions were to have the below:
TCP Port 1723, IP Protocol 47 (GRE) are opened. Also make sure that the router has the PPTP enabled and not firewall block the traffic
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Post by vbox4me2 »

VPN from the Guest should work out of the box even with NAT, but to exclude NAT problems try Host networking first.
arwel

Post by arwel »

Hi All,
I can VPN perfectly from the Mac OS host. Looking up '721' on google, it mainly seems to be router problems. However, I am able to connect fine through this router using another PC running XP, so it's not a router problem.
I'm a bit stumped to be honest.... So, everything works from the Mac and with this router, but in the XP guest, no joy even with the firewall turned off. Any suggestions about which settings to check much appreciated...
arwel

Post by arwel »

Er ok. RTFM alert.
Section 6.4.3, 'NAT Limitations' says...

"Protocols such as GRE are unsupported: Protocols other than TCP and UDP are
not supported. This means some VPN products (e.g. PPTP from Microsoft) can-
not be used. There are other VPN products which use simply TCP and UDP. "

This perhaps may have something to do with my problem?? Presumably VirtualBox is set up for NAT as default??
arwel

Post by arwel »

Er, yup. That worked.
Duh!

RTFM...RTFM...RTFM....RTFM....