Packet loss with OpenSolaris 2008.11 guest using Host If

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
ringods
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.04
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Windows

Packet loss with OpenSolaris 2008.11 guest using Host If

Post by ringods »

Hello,

We have an Intel machine, multi-core and lots of RAM, running Ubuntu 8.10 as the host OS. This machine hosts a number of VirtualBox (2.0.4) guests, all configured with Host Interface networking:

- Ubuntu Linux 8.10 32 bit
- Ubuntu Linux 8.10 64bit
- Windows XP 32 bit
- Windows 2003 Server 32 bit
- OpenSolaris 2008.11 32 bit

The first of these guest instances is running Hudson, a continuous integration server (1), with all the other guest machines as additional slave machines to perform platform specific builds. All instances run very solid, except for the OpenSolaris one. Hudson marks this slave builder as inactive. Looking at the logs, the cause is always network related. If I start some ping sessions between virtual machines, the ping session from/to the OpenSolaris virtual machine always shows packet loss. All other ping sessions between other virtual machines or the host os usually have no packet loss.

On my own MacBook Pro, I tried VirtualBox 2.1.4 since the release notes mentioned a rewritten networking layer for the Host Interface type. Running an OpenSolaris 2008.11 guest with Host Interface networking still shows packet loss, although only from guest to host OS, not vice versa.

Has anyone else seen unstable networking with OpenSolaris as a guest? Any resolution if possible?

Greetings,

Ringo

(1) http://hudson.dev.java.net
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Packet loss with OpenSolaris 2008.11 guest using Host If

Post by Perryg »

ringods wrote:Hello,

We have an Intel machine, multi-core and lots of RAM, running Ubuntu 8.10 as the host OS. This machine hosts a number of VirtualBox (2.0.4) guests, all configured with Host Interface networking:

- Ubuntu Linux 8.10 32 bit
- Ubuntu Linux 8.10 64bit
- Windows XP 32 bit
- Windows 2003 Server 32 bit
- OpenSolaris 2008.11 32 bit

The first of these guest instances is running Hudson, a continuous integration server (1), with all the other guest machines as additional slave machines to perform platform specific builds. All instances run very solid, except for the OpenSolaris one. Hudson marks this slave builder as inactive. Looking at the logs, the cause is always network related. If I start some ping sessions between virtual machines, the ping session from/to the OpenSolaris virtual machine always shows packet loss. All other ping sessions between other virtual machines or the host os usually have no packet loss.

On my own MacBook Pro, I tried VirtualBox 2.1.4 since the release notes mentioned a rewritten networking layer for the Host Interface type. Running an OpenSolaris 2008.11 guest with Host Interface networking still shows packet loss, although only from guest to host OS, not vice versa.

Has anyone else seen unstable networking with OpenSolaris as a guest? Any resolution if possible?

Greetings,

Ringo

(1) http://hudson.dev.java.net
Doing a little Google-ing I found this for you. I wonder if this is what you need to do. I had to modify my openSUSE 11.1 to get full flow, it was set to the wrong mtu

http://www.susegeek.com/networking/netw ... suse-suse/

By the way I did see that you were using solaris. This was just to give you an idea to follow. not a resolve.
ringods

Post by ringods »

Perryg wrote:Doing a little Google-ing I found this for you. I wonder if this is what you need to do. I had to modify my openSUSE 11.1 to get full flow, it was set to the wrong mtu

By the way I did see that you were using solaris. This was just to give you an idea to follow. not a resolve.
These are settings for the host OS, right? Did you also make network changes on your guest?
I have configured these settings on my Ubuntu host OS. After reviewing the MTU settings of host and guest OS-es, all were set to 1500.

Ringo
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

ringods wrote:
Perryg wrote:Doing a little Google-ing I found this for you. I wonder if this is what you need to do. I had to modify my openSUSE 11.1 to get full flow, it was set to the wrong mtu

These are settings for the host OS, right? Did you also make network changes on your guest?
I have configured these settings on my Ubuntu host OS. After reviewing the MTU settings of host and guest OS-es, all were set to 1500.

Ringo
I would try to adjust the offending machines MTU down to see if the packet loss went down. Also you can try to select the Intel network adaptor instead of the PCnet adaptor in the VBox GUI or one of the other ones to see if it is a driver/adaptor issue.
ringods

Post by ringods »

Perryg wrote:I would try to adjust the offending machines MTU down to see if the packet loss went down. Also you can try to select the Intel network adaptor instead of the PCnet adaptor in the VBox GUI or one of the other ones to see if it is a driver/adaptor issue.
OK, I will experiment with the MTU settings in my guest. Tnx for the tip!

On my personal machine with VirtualBox 2.1.4, I used the Intel Pro/1000 T Server adapter to perform some ping tests, but I also got packet loss in that configuration.

Ringo