Seamless Windows - Need new guest additions?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
dwmcqueen

Seamless Windows - Need new guest additions?

Post by dwmcqueen »

I have compiled the OSE of VirtualBox 1.5.0, but cannot get the seamless windows to work. Host+I does nothing.

Do I need updated Guest Additions? If so - where do I get them? There is nothing available after I compile.
Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

Yes, of course you need to update the Guest Additiions. Start your VM, go to the VBox Menue Devices... Install Guest Additions.
Do you type l or I (lower L or upper i)? You need an Host+L, no matter what case.
dwmcqueen

Post by dwmcqueen »

I do that and it says it can't find the iso. I compiled from source, and there is no iso created as a result there. I noticed there hasn't been (or if there isn't currently) a released 1.5.0.

So, a better question is - how do I get the Guest Additions with the OSE version?
ashz

Post by ashz »

I don't know what version that you are using but if it is Debian based then try one of these.

Try this,

http://www.virtualbox.org/debian/pool/n ... irtualbox/

Apart from that I do not know what to recommend until they bring something out.

Laters
ash

Ingo
Volunteer

Post by Ingo »

Hi dwmcqueen,
most of us use the closed source Version of VirtualBox. There it is a part of the package. If you only want the ISO image, go to the link ash suggested and open one of den deb packages. I looked into virtualbox_1.5.0-24069_Debian_etch_i386.deb and found it there in data.tar.gz ./usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso. Maybe its unpacked laying around elsewhere but I don't know where.
dwmcqueen

Post by dwmcqueen »

Yep, that is what I did and it works.

Wish there was a way to build the guest additions, though. WOuld make life easier.
samwise

Post by samwise »

If you're running VirtualBox OSE you may want to try:

VirtualBox OSE Windows Guest Additions Installer
http://code.google.com/p/virtual-box-wi ... installer/

Byron Clark's 1.5.0-1 installer works fine for me, including seamless windows. Only thing I've noticed not working so far is the shared folders support.

Note: installing the original VirtualBox Windows Guest Additions software from an ISO hosted on this site makes it a bit pointless running the OSE version, as you'll be asked to accept the PUEL before installing them.

Byron's version is compiled from the code provided with the OSE distribution, as I read it, which means it should be licensed under the GPL (tho, as with the rest of the OSE, certain features of the proprietary version may be missing).

Sam.