Solaris 10 won't run on VirtualBox 2.1

Discussions about using Solaris guests in VirtualBox.
sigh1

Solaris 10 won't run on VirtualBox 2.1

Post by sigh1 »

Dear all,

I just installed VB 2.1 on Ubuntu 8.04.

However, when the guest O/S (Solaris 10) boots it gets as far as
SunOS 5.10 Veriosn Generic_137138-09 32-bit
Copyright 1983-2008 Sun ....
Use is subject to licence terms.

At this point it hangs.

I have install the same version on Solaris on my laptop as a normal O/S.
All VT features are disabled in this guest O/S setup as these features are disabled on my laptop (thank-you Sony).

Would someone be able to tell me where I have gone wrong?

Regards, s
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

i only ever managed to get it to install with VT turned on, that gives you the 64-bit version of solaris.

10u6 works fine, don't apply a patch cluster as that usually screws it up, guest additions in my experience install but don't do anything - no seemless, no resolution resizing, no mouse integration, not tried shared folders.

abysmal that one sun product works so badly with another one, i guess sun wants you to use containers or xvm server for solaris.
sigh1

Post by sigh1 »

VT cannot be turned on as Sony wrote a custom BIOS on my laptop that forces VT to be disabled. There is no workaround, and having followed various threads about the problem since 2006, I see that to date no one has managed to enabled VT on my laptop.

Therefore, am I correct to think that Solaris Guest O/S on a VIrtual Box won't work on systems that do not have VT capability or enabled?
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

sigh1 wrote:Therefore, am I correct to think that Solaris Guest O/S on a VIrtual Box won't work on systems that do not have VT capability or enabled?
well i never managed it.

i'd say complain to sony for crippling their laptops.
sigh1

Post by sigh1 »

There is no point talking with Sony because they won't care. They don't see it as crippling when they can sell other systems with VT enabled for more.

s.
chungy
Volunteer

Post by chungy »

It's more likely that you have a CPU that really doesn't support VT-x (as is the case of Pentium Dual-Core; it's 64-bit, but no hardware virtualization).

At any rate, the 32-bit version of Solaris 10 works fine in VirtualBox.
SSCBrian
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Re:

Post by SSCBrian »

sigh1 wrote:Therefore, am I correct to think that Solaris Guest O/S on a VIrtual Box won't work on systems that do not have VT capability or enabled?
Not correct. Solaris installs just fine on my machine with VT disabled. The only thing is that you get the 32-bit version instead of the 64-bit version of Solaris.
woboyle

Re: Solaris 10 won't run on VirtualBox 2.1

Post by woboyle »

I got the 64bit Solaris to install on CentOS 5.2 w/ VT set. However, when I installed the Solaris guest additions it munged the X server and I could only get a command-line login. I'm reinstalling the OS now as I don't need to root around in the x configuration files to fix this because I have work that needs to be done and I can accomplish that without Guest Additions. I'm just wondering if the Solaris Guest Additions only work for a 32bit installation? Anybody have light to shine on this cruft?
SSCBrian
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows 8 RTM (MSDN)

Post by SSCBrian »

woboyle wrote:I got the 64bit Solaris to install on CentOS 5.2 w/ VT set. However, when I installed the Solaris guest additions it munged the X server and I could only get a command-line login. I'm reinstalling the OS now as I don't need to root around in the x configuration files to fix this because I have work that needs to be done and I can accomplish that without Guest Additions. I'm just wondering if the Solaris Guest Additions only work for a 32bit installation? Anybody have light to shine on this cruft?
I didn't have any problems with installing the guest additions (Vista x64) host in either 32-bit or 64-bit mode and breaking anything. They just don't do anything.
woboyle

Post by woboyle »

I was hoping to be able to resize the virtual display to something bigger than the 1024x768 it provides. I'd like to use an entire 1920x1200 display much as I do with XP (I'm running a dual monitor system). BTW, did you use the pkgadd facility? That's what I did. When I told VB to install GuestAdditions, it mounted the ISO as a CD-ROM which contained the various GuestAdditions packages for the different platforms, including the i386 version of the solaris package. I installed that and after logging out, the X server would not start up any longer. I reinstalled the OS, saved the VM state this time, and tried again. Same effect. At least I was able to rollback to the snapshot so I didn't have to reinstall the OS again. Anyway, with some futzing with xorgcfg I was able to get the system to at least provide a 1280x1024 display window, which is better than the VGA that it gave before. I'd still prefer at least a 1600x1200 window, but this will do.