USB - unavailable - to VirtualBox??

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jonesrj

USB - unavailable - to VirtualBox??

Post by jonesrj »

I am using openSUSE 11.1 32 bit as host sys. and XP Pro as guest in Vbox. When I first set up a virtual machine for Windows XP and tried to install USB filters a list of my USB devices shows up but they are all considered "unavailable". I have put the line: ( none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1000,devmode=664 0 0 )into "fstab" to no avail. I did not have this problem with openSUSE 11.1 64bit? Nor did I have the above line in "fstab"? and had no problems with USB. Both installations are on the same machine but different drives. I don't know if this means anything,but,going to yast2,software -Virtual box is listed as installed but the letters and numbers in the available col. are Red? not sure but it must mean something is not right? By the way I removed my install of openSUSE 11.1 64bit and reinstalled and downloaded and installed VirtualBox and it now has the same problem as the 32bit sys.? The only thing that seems to be common to the two installations is: Right after installing VirtualBox I would start the program and set up a virtual machine for XP "preliminary" did not load windows yet. would close Virtual box and when I came back to restart Virtual box it would appear to be loading but did not. I would then shut down the system and reboot and then when I select VirtualBox it runs fine - just no USB available. I don't have a clue?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: USB - unavailable - to VirtualBox??

Post by Sasquatch »

Are you sure you downloaded and install the version from the website, and not from the repository? The latter is the Open Source version, which doesn't support USB. Only the PUEL from the website itself supports that, and a few other extra's like RAW Disk Access.
After you've installed the PUEL version, you should have USB after you added the fstab entry and made sure that it was mounted (issue a mount -a as root, or reboot).
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
jonesrj

Re: USB - unavailable - to VirtualBox??

Post by jonesrj »

Well wouldn't ya know! I thought I had used "mount -a", however, appears that I had not. As we were taught in the Navy, never assume anything. I assumed that I had and of course had not. Thanks for jarring me out of la la land. It's much appreciated. I'm a happy camper once again.