VirtualBox and Wikis

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

VirtualBox and Wikis

Post by TerryE »

One of the triggers for this topic is Madnav's post on the topic Introductions for forum supporters where he both introduces himself and discusses the Wikipedia entries for Virtualbox.
MadNav wrote:I'm in need of a little support for avoiding a wikipedia awaiting deletion of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VBoxHeadless. The watchers move to fast for my tired old blood, not to mention what do they know about VirtualBox ...If I only had another dozen hours in my day I'd be able to do everything too
I wanted to respond but this was kind of off-topic for "Introductions" hence this post. I am a supporter of both this forum and Wikipedia so I feel myself qualified to discuss this subject. On Wikipedia there is a main article for VirtualBox which is referenced from the main Sun Microsystems as well as references from other articles: Full virtualization, Platform virtualization, x86 Virtualization, Comparison of platform virtual machines, Sun xVM, and 83 other article cross references (as per this google query). So in terms of is coverage and cross-references, I feel that Virtualbox is fairly treated in Wikipedia and the balance is about right.

One thing that I would say is that the Virtualbox article is somewhat dated and does not reflect current version 2.1.4 functionality. It could do with a refresh. I also tend to side with the Wikipedians in questioning the validity of the VBoxHeadless within the scope of Wikipedia. It is not encyclopaedic content. What this issue does introduce as a corollary is where do put such content. I have been advocating that we open up the VB wiki to general contribution or even simply starting (with the dev team's cooperation and support) a general community Wiki for the howtos, examples and general content that fits better in this paradigm then the forum based discussion model.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
ghr
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

Re: VirtualBox and Wikis

Post by ghr »

I like (and agree with) this part:
...even simply starting (with the dev team's cooperation and support) a general community Wiki for the howtos, examples and general content that fits better in this paradigm then the forum based discussion model.
By the way, this doesn't imply that I disagree with the other contents :-)
MadNav

Post by MadNav »

Thanks for the feedback and OT scrub ...

Yes, I know there was the sense of OT in my introduction, but hey, killing two birds with one stone is just what we have to do sometimes to keep moving forward. As for me, it is not so OT as it serves as a functional/disfunctional introduction to other fine example of my insane ways to make change. :roll: Fighting Windmills, persay.

The term 'Headless' used in the 'Features' sub, appeared to be vaguely referencing a proprietary VirtualBox component, namely the VBoxHeadless (VirtualBox Headless Interface) concept and as such should appear as a glossary term at a minimum. My outake of the slaying I have encountered at Wikipedia is not a lost cause as it has shed light upon many considerable options when it comes to Wiki and consolidating & refurbishing information about VirtualBox.

I'll conceed that Wikipedia is not a How To and will abide by their decisions as it were: Give unto Wikipedia that which is Wiki and give back to Sun, support to it's VirtualBox community.

Thanks again everyone and perhaps someone with an affinity for Wiki and VirualBox will be inspired to make the real changes necessary in moving to the next level. ~ DaveZnotHere!

Just had to add, I got curious about the googlequery TerryE shot up: I think Sun VirtualBox has a right to reference internal components and or concepts that apply and/or give better understanding. My big mistake aside from bothering ;D was to not click the 'This is a minor edit' .. my bad, I always from my mistakes and yep here and there happen upon them again. Hopefully not in the near future. Please enjoy my link below.
Search Result URI Pool for headless virtualization WuaLa 8) toolz are cool
!!! Cloud Computing Alert - Use may increase productivity!
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

I don't think that anyone one at Wikipedia would object to an article on headless or remote virtualisation as long as it was vendor neutral and covered the approaches adopted by the major suppliers here, Virtualbox included.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.