Virtualbox with Wireless Card

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
pbp776

Virtualbox with Wireless Card

Post by pbp776 »

Hi,

I'm new with Virtualbox and coming from VMware Server free edition. Not sure if this correct forum either for my issue.
I'm having problem with my two guest machinces with IP address conflict via Host Interface to my Wireless card. I have search but couldn't find the correct answer or I'm might be not looking correctly. I did found this ticket http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/735 however it for VirtualBox 1.5.0 and I'm running new version 2.1.4

Here is the issue I'm having. I have created three virutal machines running on Windows XP SP2 host. First machines is Linux guest with NAT selected and working OK. Second is Window XP SP3 with host interface and wireless card selected. Third is Windows 2003 Standard Edition SP2 with host interface and wireless card selected. When second and third machines comes online I get IP address in conflict on both Windows guest machine. When I look at the event log on both machines it points to my host Wireless MAC address.

My network setting as follows:
Host :
IP: 192.168.1.5 <-- via static IP from router.
Submask: 255.255.255.0
Gatway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1

Guest 1 Linux: NAT enable no problem get the 10.X.X.X ip address which I'm ok with it for now.
Guest 2 WinXP SP3 :
manually IP address as follows:
IP: 192.168.1.10

Guest 3 Win2003 SP2 :
manually IP address as follows:
IP: 192.168.1.11

When I look at my router Device List it show as follows:
Host MAC with IP address 192.168.1.5
Host MAC with IP address 192.168.1.10 instead of Guest MAC address
Host MAC with IP address 192.168.1.11 instead of Guest MAC address.

Thanks in advance.
pbp776

Re: Virtualbox with Wireless Card

Post by pbp776 »

Ok, I tried running these two virtual machines on my Dell Inspiron 6000 and both machines getting IP address from the router and working fine. Same setting as my other laptop host interface selected. Dell has Intel Pro/wireless 2200BG card while my other laptop, IBM T60, has 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapater.

My Router now shows following:
Under Device connected:
eth1 host mac address 192.168.1.6
br0 host mac address 192.168.1.20
br0 VM mac address 192.168.1.20
br0 host mac address 192.168.1.21
br0 VM mac address 192.168.1.21

I'm not sure if I'm having the issue with my wireless card on T60?
I have reinstall VirutalBox and reinstall Guest Machines and still getting IP address in conflict within the Guest Machine.
Anyone has any idea what might be the problem? If more information is need plz let me know.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

The HIF module of VB will try to use the MAC address generated in the settings as it's source MAC. If that fails to get an active connection, it will fall back on the physical MAC of the NIC used by HIF. That is the case for you. Your T60 NIC doesn't support the method VB tries, thus falling back on the MAC of your wireless. The Intel NIC in your Dell does support it, so it will pass on the MAC of the VM.

Have you tried setting the IP addresses of the VMs to a static one, so it might not have to revert to the physical MAC?
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
pbp776

Post by pbp776 »

Sasquatch,

Thanks for the response. I tried option via DHCP, static IP via DHCP and manual static IP on both Virutal Machines but seems to have cause IP address conflict. Maybe what you said about my T60 wireless nic might be a problem. Is this limitation on NIC drivers or NIC card or Virtualbox itself? It still work with VMware server. Sorry if I'm asking to much questions.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

VMWare does it with some kind of bridged mode, hacking the network packets to have a different MAC right before the NIC wants to send them. This isn't how VB works. If VB uses the fallback option, it's either the driver or the NIC itself that doesn't support it (if the NIC doesn't support it, the driver won't of course either).
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.