VM Cloning

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
jdubb76

VM Cloning

Post by jdubb76 »

Greetings.
I have a client who is using Jeppesen software. Said software does not play very nice with my XP installation in Parallels but it does, however work very nicely with VBox.
What I would like to do if its possible is take my XP Installation from Parallels and clone it to VBox so I don't have to go through the process of updates, and application installs...
Is there a way to do that?
I know Parallels' installation is .hdd and VBox's is .vdi
Can I convert one to the other, or is there another method?
Thanks for any feedback.
-Jason
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

You should search the forum about this.

I have converted my parallels-installation to vmdk using the vmware-importer some time ago. But as I have read here in the forum, this will not work anymore, because vmware changed the internal format of their vmdk-file.

Another way I have read about is using Qemu. Again, a search for "Parallels Qemu convert" will bring you some hits from the forum, that might help you.
jdubb76

Thanks

Post by jdubb76 »

I appreciate the info.
I had to get the computer finished TODAY as there was a massive sense of urgency.
So, I just backed up the Parallels data on an external drive and continued with a fresh installation in Virtual Box. It was the long and hard way... but the job is done. It would be nice in the future if there could be an easier way. Now that VBox has improved the shared folders and USB drive support, I want to be done with my Parallels and use VBox, too. In all, I think it is simply a better program.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.