Whenever guest resizes monitor blinks

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
sowelie

Whenever guest resizes monitor blinks

Post by sowelie »

Whenever I start up a virtual machine, and the guest display resizes, my monitor flashes. It's acting like the actual resolution of my host is changing, so it goes to black, then returns to normal. This happens when I go into full screen or seamless mode, as well as just resizing the guest window. I am running Ubuntu amd64 and have an ati radeon x1500.
myxiplx

Post by myxiplx »

This is happening for me too. I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 with two screens on an ATI Radeon x1950, and whenever the VirtualBox guest changes video mode both of my screens go blank for a second.

This even happens when VirtualBox is running in a window on the second monitor.
sowelie

Anyone?

Post by sowelie »

Anyone??
myxiplx

Post by myxiplx »

I couldn't find this on the bug database, so just raised it:
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2446
sowelie

Post by sowelie »

Thanks for that, sorry it took me so long to get back. I have been just dealing with the issue (although it is very annoying). Now I have dual monitors, and the new one (supposed to be the same, but dell apparently doesn't have my old one anymore) takes longer to turn on so the blink affects me a lot more now.
myxiplx

Post by myxiplx »

Hey there,

I've just updated to 2.1.2, and removed the ATI binary drivers on my system so I'm just using the open source ones, and this is no longer a problem for me.

I don't know whether it was the upgrade, or the change of drivers that fixed it, but either way it's working fine now.
sowelie

Post by sowelie »

It must have been the drivers. I am running 2.1.4 and with the binary drivers and I am still seeing this issue. I need to use the binary drivers because the open source ones do not work well with my card. I have a crappy dell with a radeon x1500 or something here at work.