2.1.2 fresh installation froze and now services.exe

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
JJLatVB

2.1.2 fresh installation froze and now services.exe

Post by JJLatVB »

My system CPU is near maxed out with the services.exe accounting for the load.

I was going to try VirtualBox on my Core2Duo Windows XP SP2 machine after having some successful, but lackluster, tests with VMWare and MS Virtual PC. Ran the 2.1.2 download and it seemed to be running fine. It seemed to copy all the files but after a couple hours of sitting there with a screen that says "This could take a few minutes", I pressed the cancel button. I sat and waited for something to happen but it never did. I noticed there were 4 msiexec's running and flipped a coin twice to decide which one to kill. Killed the one with the highest PID and then the install program said something about a malfunction and offered to roll back the installation. "Yes". Ever since, my system CPU is near maxed out with the services.exe accounting for the load. Since it left no uninstall, I tried 2.0.6 and 2.1.4 with the same symptoms: Never finishes, runs 4 msiexecs, and services.exe is dragging the system down.

I assume there is a pooched network device that it attempted to install but I can't open the device manager or the network connections control panel to check or remove anything.

Please advise.