disc error with xp on mac 10.5.6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
thomasbl

disc error with xp on mac 10.5.6

Post by thomasbl »

VB was working well, but has just started to fail when booting. Goes through the initial VB startup screen then says "cannot read disc" or something similar and asks for ctrl+alt+del to restart?

Any ideas?

Thanks. Tom.
Pikaplhu

Post by Pikaplhu »

sounds like he tinks there is a other disk to boot from, do you have boot from USB on ?
legendgamesmaster

mine did that..

Post by legendgamesmaster »

mine did that after a power -out forced a crash of the system. It fragged the virtual disk.
My only recourse was to clone a vdi I had on 'standby' as I hadn't got round to snapshots etc. - still haven't actually, too little time....
Anyhow, point is, I couldn't recover the session.
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

An old adminsaying goes: "Unsaved data are lost data."

One should ALLWAYS keep a copy of the working virtualdisc. From the Finder's point of view it's only one file, one can copy or duplicate.

If one uses Timemachine, timemachine does it for you, timemachine even keeps several versions of the virtual-disc.
OK, this won't help you actually, but next time ...

Ways to repair your defect virtual-disc are,
- the recovery-console that you can start from your setup-disc, you also can configure windows so that the recovery-console is one of the start-options,
- or a windows-live-cd, or an image of such a cd, like Barts-PE or Vista-PE, containing the systernal tools, several times I was able to repair real windows installations with such a cd/the systernal tools.
thomasbl

Post by thomasbl »

Thanks guys. I have backed up with time machine, but have never used it to restore yet. If i restore an older image, will i lose any new programs or data which i have since saved.
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

You don't have to do a complete restore! Have a look onto your Timemachine-volume:
Backups.backupdb/(your macs name)/year-month-day-time

If you open one of the year-month-day-time folders, i.g. 2009-02-10-040320, you will find the complete structure of your mac's hd, except the folders that you have excluded to backup in the timemachinesettings.
In fact there are only the files that has been changed since the last backup, all the other are hardlinks to the backups when the corresponding files the last time has been changed.
The files that you see on your timemachine-volume behave like normal files, they are not compressed or so. You simply can copy them back to your hd.

Duplicate your actual corrupted virtual-disc with the finder so that you have a copy and delete the original,
locate the timemachine-backup made before your virtual-disc had become corrupted. Then find the vdi/vmdk file and copy it to the place of the old virtual-disc. If your vm works again you can delete the duplicate of the old, corrupted virtual-disc.

Surely all the changes you made to the virtual-disc ,after the timemachine-backup until it has become corrupted, are lost!

If this does not work, delete the restored virtual-disc and either restore an older one or rename the duplicate back to the original name and use one of the repair-methods I described above (recovery-console or live-cd with systernal-tools).
thomasbl

Post by thomasbl »

All sorted thanks guys. I ran time machine and restored the VB state. Worked a treat. Thanks for the help. Its the first time i have used time machine, pretty impressive!