Host to Guest Networking without physical network connected

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
leideckn

Host to Guest Networking without physical network connected

Post by leideckn »

Hi Folks,

I'am working with VirtualBox for about two months and I am very happy.

There is just on thing that I would like to have solved as itis frustrating me. I am sure I just misunderstood some settings in VirtualBox.

I have a Mac OS X running with VirtualBox in version 2.0.6 (is the newest one at this time). On this Mac I have installed Eclipse as a Development tool (and some other needful things). In the VirtualMachine I installed a Debian Core 4 system which is runing like a charm.

My Problem: The network

I attached three Adapters from the VirtualBox GUI to the machine.

1. is a NAT Adapter
2. is a Host interface connected to Ethernet (LAN)
3. is a Host interface connected to AirPort (WLAN)

The Guest can access all internet sources, no problem, but the network between the Host and the Guest is not working. Not working means I cannot access any port on the Guest. The only solution I found is to setup a PortForwarding. E.g. local TCP HostPort 8888 to TCP GuestPort 80. This does allow me to access the Port 80 on the Guest system by starting with "localhost:8888".

When i have a network connected to the Mac interface, I can ping the Guest IP that is got from my DHCP server in the network. So the Host interface setting as setup in 2. and 3. is working. But if the Mac is disconnected - without any network connection (I want to prog in OTRS even if there is no network connection available (in the Hotel, on the Airport, whereever ...)) - then I have no chance to access my Guest machine beside this PortForwarding thing ...

But this is anoying .... Is there no easy way to just setup a Host <-> Guest network?

Thanks a lot for your help!

((enjoy))

Cheers, Nils

www.otrs.com / www.otrs.org
yomatiyo

Re: Host to Guest Networking without physical network connec

Post by yomatiyo »

unfortunately, i have the same problem :cry: is there any way to solve it on mac os x?
leideckn

not the way VBox works

Post by leideckn »

Hi yomatiyo,

as it seems this is just not the way VirtualBox works.
I setup every port via the VBoxManage command line tool now to have all aplications available ... not that easy to setup but flexible.

command works like this:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage setextradata "scalix" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/guestssh/Protocol" TCP
VBoxManage setextradata "scalix" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/guestssh/GuestPort" 22
VBoxManage setextradata "scalix" "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcnet/0/LUN#0/Config/guestssh/HostPort" 2222
take care of the name between the "".
In the example above i am running a virtualbox machine with the name "scalix". Exchange this with the name you gave tot he machine by yourself.

Cheers for now, Nis

((enjoy))

www.otrs.com / www.otrs.org