GRUB Error 2

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
cwjrda

GRUB Error 2

Post by cwjrda »

I have been using VirtualBox on a Win XP Pro to host Ubuntu for a couple of months now. I have an application that runs in Linux and another application that runs in Windows and am developing an interface program in Linux to allow the Windows app to control the Linux app.

Suddenly, yesterday, it will not boot. When I start the VM I see the VirtualBox screen and when that disappears I have the following in a black screen:
GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 2

And there it hangs. I cannot get into Ubuntu. I don't know even why Grub is being used here, I didn't install it intentionally. I don't need multiple boot options within my VM.

I don't know how to get into the disk image to find out what may be wrong or to fix it. I read forums that talked about fixing grub files, but I can't even get to the disk image.

Can you help me find a way to fix this. I need to be able to recover the contents of my disk image, it has several things installed and also the code I have been developing. (I do have a backup but it would take a while to reinstall and get all the settings right.)

Thanks for your help.
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

Ubuntu uses the grub bootstrap by default. It needs some bootstrap the 1.5 stage is needed to support the range of Linux files systems that could be used for the Host OS. To repair grub, you need to boot your VM from a LiveCD such as the Ubuntu distro and rerun grub-install. There are lots of articles on the internet on how to do this.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.