how to move settings to other folder

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
manfredell

how to move settings to other folder

Post by manfredell »

I want to move the Virtualbox folder with the HardDisks and Machines subfolders to another folder than the default Library one.

When I do this VB does no longer find the settings of the VM (obviously). How is the easy way to import the moved VM??

In Vmware it's just a double click and the VM registers itself. Seems like a lot of more pain here.

Thx in advance
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

If you start VirtualBox, but not any VM, have a look under the menu-item VirtualBox.Properties.
manfredell

Post by manfredell »

tkwm wrote:If you start VirtualBox, but not any VM, have a look under the menu-item VirtualBox.Properties.
Not clear what you mean. There is only Preferences and you can set the default paths, yes.
BUT if you created a VM under the old default paths, change this to the new locations, move the VM and start VB, it does not find the seetings as I've told.
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

But you can change the default path so that it points to your choosen location

Edit: Maybe you also have to look under $HOME/Library/VirtualBox for the VirtualBox.xml file and edit it, so that it also points to the new locations.
Last edited by tkwm on 2. Feb 2009, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
manfredell

Post by manfredell »

tkwm wrote:But you can change the default path so that it points to your choosen location
Of course. But this does not help my problem.

Creating a VM in the old path and trying to move to the new.
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

Maybe you also have to look under $HOME/Library/VirtualBox for the VirtualBox.xml file and edit it, so that it also points to the new locations.