where are the shared folders?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
manfredell

where are the shared folders?

Post by manfredell »

I just installed VB on OSX 10.5.6
I created a fresh XP Pro VM.
I cannot find the shared folders I have defined. They are supposed to show up in “My Networking Places” -> “Entire Network” -> “VirtualBox Shared
Folders” BUT they don't.

Help appreciated.
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

Do you have the guest-additions installed?
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

In Explorer select the menuitem Tools.Map Networkdrive in the following mask a click onto search should show you the "VirtualBox Shared Folders".
manfredell

Post by manfredell »

tkwm wrote:Do you have the guest-additions installed?
Yes I have
manfredell

Post by manfredell »

tkwm wrote:In Explorer select the menuitem Tools.Map Networkdrive in the following mask a click onto search should show you the "VirtualBox Shared Folders".
But it doesn't as I posted in my mail....
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

No. You posted something different in your first post and I had to try that before I posted my second post.

When I use that icon laying on my Desktop (in german it's called "netzwerkumgebung" and I guess that is the same like "My Networking Places"), I don't see any of the "VirtualBox Shared Folders".

But if I use the method described by me it works.

If it does not work from within Explorer check if you have installed "Client for MS-Networking" under Networking.Properties.

Maybe you also need to enable a NIC in the VMs setting.

If this all does not work, please post it, we'll find a way to bring you with your elephants over the alps [put your favorite smilie here] ...
manfredell

Post by manfredell »

tkwm wrote:No. You posted something different in your first post and I had to try that before I posted my second post.

When I use that icon laying on my Desktop (in german it's called "netzwerkumgebung" and I guess that is the same like "My Networking Places", I don't see any of the "VirtualBox Shared Folders".

But if I use the method described by me it works.

If it does not work from within Explorer check if you have installed "Client for MS-Networking" under Networking.Properties.

Maybe you also need to enable a NIC in the VMs setting.

If this all does not work, please post it, we'll find a way to bring you with your elephants over the alps [put your favorite smilie here] ...
OK. After 2 reboots it shows up when mapping a drive. BUT I can only map if there is a subfolder in the share, if there are none (like dsktop) it doesn't work.
Seems to me this is an area which needs some more work.....

P.S. When trying to type the path in a explorer window: \\VBOXSVR\Volumes I cannot connect also....
No good.
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

hi,

can't resume that because all my shared folders do have subfolders.

But for my part I see your problem as solved. You can use shared folder from within the vm. The other problems are more of cosmetic nature.

When I type the path in a explorer window: \\VBOXSVR\Musik, the VM stops responding and I have to shut it down manually. Guest is w2k.

Yes, no good, but mapped to a driveletter the shared folders do work.
Last edited by tkwm on 2. Feb 2009, 00:15, edited 1 time in total.
manfredell

Post by manfredell »

tkwm wrote:hi,

can't resume that because all my shared folders do have subfolders.

But for my part I see your problem as solved. You can use shared folder from within the vm. The other problems are more of cosmetic nature.

Whe I type the path in a explorer Window: \\VBOXSVR\Musik, the VM stops responding and I have to shut it down manually.

Yes. No good.
Yes thanks. One step in the right direction. But they need a lot of work there....