Installing application software

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
JackWaterhouse

Installing application software

Post by JackWaterhouse »

Hi...

I installed VirtualBox on an XP SP3 system, and then installed the Windows 7 beta under VirtualBox. Windows 7 installed and runs flawlessly.

The only catch is that if I try to install any third-party application software under Windows 7 running in VirtualBox, it actually installs in Windows XP, and is unavailable to Windows 7.

Does anyone know how to fix this, such that software installed in Windows 7 stays in Windows 7?

Cheers.

-Jack
Arizona - Willie

Installing under Windows 7

Post by Arizona - Willie »

I just did the same thing ... installed Windows 7 on VirtualBox on an XP SP3 machine.

I then installed Windows Live Mail which I'm trying to get set up right now but it installed in Windows 7 with no problem.

I installed everything on a small 40 gig HD and wanted to keep everything off of my C drive. I saw an item labeled preferences ( which I haven't been able to find again ) in Virtual Box and it said the default HD was C:/ something /something and also the default machine was C: something / something.

Perhaps that is why programs are going to the wrong place.

I'm wanting to change the preferences ( if I find them again ) so that everything points to the G drive and NOTHING goes on C ... if I can.

I'm wondering what is being written to those default locations on C since everything was installed on G drive.

Oh yes, I got the beta install file from the Sun guy who posted to email him. Don't remember his email right now and I'm now sure how to get out of Windows 7 temporarily to go look.

I'm on this forum using IE 8 under Windows 7.

So far things are looking pretty good except that there doesn't seem to be a video resolution that matches the default resolution of my wide screen monitor and I have black bars on the sides or else I have to scroll down to get to the task bar so I had to select a video resolution that doesn't require scrolling which left black bars on the sides.

Not a real big deal.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

The TS issue is that he didn't run the installer inside the VM, but on the Host.

Arizona, to find the prefs, click on File, then Preferences in the VB main window. There you can change the location of where the VMs will be stored. Existing VMs will not be moved.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Arizona - Willie

Program installations

Post by Arizona - Willie »

I just downloaded and installed a couple of things using IE 8 under Windows 7 in the box.

IE < said > it was downloading to C:\users\something\something but actually did download to and install in my virtual drive on G.

Apparently IE is being tricked into thinking the virtual drive is the C drive.

I < hope > things didn't get installed in both places :)

But, even though it said it was going to C it didn't.

Perhaps that is what happened and he thought they were going to C ... but it lies because it has been tricked.

Scared me when I first saw that too ... but I realized that it had downloaded and installed Windows Live with no problem so I decided to let 'er rip and see what happened and sure enough they went to the right place.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Arizona, the reason you thought it was wrong, actually got right. The Guest has drive C:, where that drive is drive G: on your Host. If you're using RAW Disk, don't mount the drive you are using in the Guest on the Host, or it could, and probably will, corrupt the file system.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.