XP Activation and Mac Upgrades

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
aimlink

XP Activation and Mac Upgrades

Post by aimlink »

Do VM's dynamically update the virtual machine specs based on the Mac's current hardware configuration?

IOW's, suppose, I upgrade to another Mac and then move my virtual disk and OS to this new machine. Will XP that is installed in the VM lose its activation because a different processor is detected, or will the VM continue to use the processor specs originally generated at the time of creation of the virtual machine?
sandervl
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows Vista
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Solaris

Post by sandervl »

The only thing that changes from the guest's point of view is the CPU. I'm not sure if that's enough to trigger reactivation.
aimlink

Post by aimlink »

sandervl wrote:The only thing that changes from the guest's point of view is the CPU. I'm not sure if that's enough to trigger reactivation.
It shouldn't be from what I've read.

Taken from:
http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/a ... Num=5&rl=1

"A computer has a network adapter installed at the time of Windows XP Professional activation. You later change the motherboard, CPU, video adapter, and CD-ROM drive. Additionally, you add more memory and a second hard drive.

Reactivation is not required in this instance because only five components have been changed: motherboard, CPU, video adapter, CD-ROM and RAM (amount). The addition of a second hard drive is not of significance to Product Activation. If you were to change six or more hardware components, reactivation would be required."

With a network card installed, you have to change 6 components to require reactivation. I had to change the motherboard in my old PC and I didn't have to reactivate XP.
Cogar

Post by Cogar »

It is hard to predict when activation is required, in part because changes perceived by Windows XP can accumulate. In other words, you can make major changes that do not require reactivation and later make a minor change that does. In any case, reactivation should not be a serious problem, since you are allowed to reactivate several times. (I do not know if there is a limit, but I think after three you have to do it over the phone.)