I am new with questions

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
robinb9

I am new with questions

Post by robinb9 »

I installed virtual pc 2007 sp1 on my laptop which is a dell vostro 1510 running vista home premium sp1 with 3gigs ram and 160 gig hd.

this computer doesn't have hardware virtulazation and because of this i am finding that windows 7 which is the guest is running at 100%cpu usage. Windows 7 needs this virtulazation to run.

I am using it on my laptop basically to show users what it looks like, its differences, etc because i give seminars on "how to keep your computer safe" and I wanted to give them a peek at windows 7.

I was told by someone if i install virtualbox on my laptop I might see a better performance and the cpu usage on the guest might go down.

I would like to know if this is so.
Also do i need to uninstall virtual pc 2007 to get virtualbox to run?

I would like to keep them both so i can see which one does better- if virtualbox runs smoother than i will at that time uninstall virtual pc 2007.

thanks
Robin
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Windows 7 can run without a Virtualisation capable CPU.

It's possible that VB gives better performance. It wouldn't be the first time.

The reason you should remove MS VPC is because you can't run both at the same time. If you have a VB VM running, you can't run a VPC VM and vice versa. You can run them when the other isn't running.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
robinb9

Post by robinb9 »

Sasquatch wrote:Windows 7 can run without a Virtualisation capable CPU.

It's possible that VB gives better performance. It wouldn't be the first time.

The reason you should remove MS VPC is because you can't run both at the same time. If you have a VB VM running, you can't run a VPC VM and vice versa. You can run them when the other isn't running.

I do not plan to run them at the same time. I want to install virtualbox and see if it makes a difference on the cpu usage in windows 7. If it does then i will remove the MS VPC.

I just want to make sure that i can install virtualbox on the computer with vpc on it and there is no conflict when i install it.

Is that ok?

robin
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Should work. There are other users who have VMWare and VPC and even VB installed on the same Host.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
robinb9

Post by robinb9 »

Sasquatch wrote:Should work. There are other users who have VMWare and VPC and even VB installed on the same Host.
is it as easy to install as vp is?
and to set up the iso file for windows 7?
I downloaded the pdf and it sorto looks the same
robin
mavrik

Post by mavrik »

Vbox is easy to install and setup. I'm new to Vbox and had it running in no time with both Windows 7, Ultimate(Ubuntu) and Ubuntu. The iso mount is found under "Settings"-CD/Dvd-rom. I hardly ever hit 100% on my system when running any of the three while at the same time using Firefox, Vlc, and Notepad++. I saw no need to uninstall any virtual application before installing Vbox. I have VMware workstaion, VirtualPC, a few other per use vm's, and Vbox, all of which coexist quite well. One problem I have run into, and its not so a problem but an annoyance, is the multiple "network connections" that get created. Each vm seems to want to make its own.
robinb9

Post by robinb9 »

well i took the plunge and it was basically easy to set up.
The only thing i keep getting it tells me that windows 7 is running in 24bit color and the virtalbox is set for 32 and tells me to check the display settings in windows 7 to fix them but when going to the display it is showing windows 7 in 32bit color- so what is wrong?

I am still noticing it is still running a bit high around 80% cpu usage in the guest but this is better than the 100% it had before and it seems to go up and down from 0-80 when before it just sat at 100%. Is there anyway to fix this?

thanks
robin