Log file folder location

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
E

Log file folder location

Post by E »

I have been unable to find a way to change the log file folder location in OS X. Ideally, I would like log files to be stored somewhere other than my applications folder. The user manual says log files are typically installed in

$HOME/.VirtualBox/Machines/{machinename}/Logs

Can this be changed? If it cannot be changed, can I safely delete log files? Thanks!
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

I find my log-files under $HOME/Library/VirtualBox/Machines/{machinename}/Logs.
There seems to be no way to change the location.
You dont't need to delete the log-files, only the last four are kept. But I guess you can delete them without harm.
E

Post by E »

Interesting. I can live with just deleting the log files every so often. I have accumulated about 100 or so. It just clutters up the app folder in OS X.
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

Can't reproduce this. I looked from Terminal with ls -la and I don't have log-files in the application-folder, nor under $HOME/.VirtualBox.
Maybe you are using an older version of Virtualbox, and maybe you should deinstall it via the shellscript included with the installer and reinstall it.
E

Post by E »

I'm currently running v2.1.2. I upgraded from 2.0.6 just a few days ago. I did just notice, however, that the most recent log file in the apps folder is dated 12/5/2008. I have used VBox a lot since then. Maybe something changed in the latest version that affects log files, although I don't see any mention of that in the change log. I may try deleting the log files in the apps folder and see what happens. I have everything on my system backed up, so I can always recover later if it snarls something.
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

Is 12/5/2008 british dateformat, december or mai?
Delete the log-files and see what happens. And have a look at $HOME/Library/VirtualBox/Machines/{machinename}/Logs if there are more recent log-files.
E

Post by E »

Sorry, 12/5/2008 is US (m/d/yyyy).

But yes, I just checked and there are more recent log files in $HOME/Library/VirtualBox/Machines/{machinename}/Logs. The naming syntax in the log file names is also different. There are only 4, but the earliest one is dated around the time I upgraded to 2.1.2. It is obvious that VBox is now storing log files in this new location on my machine (which I'm much happier with).

I deleted the old log files in my OS X apps folder, and I'm not seeing any problems.

Thanks for your help.