Getting DirectX to Work on Windows Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
smcmillan

Getting DirectX to Work on Windows Guest

Post by smcmillan »

Hi There,

I'm hoping someone can help. I have an iMac with OS X and have installed VirtualBox and the Guest Additions as well. I am trying to get the Sims 2 to work which requires Direct X, however it is not recognizing the VirtualBox Graphics Driver as being compatible. I know that the video card in the iMac is compatible and am also aware that the Windows Guest isn't using the actual physical driver. I have enabled 3D Graphics Acceleration for the Guest as well. Is there anyway to get a DirectX driver to work?

Thanks for any help.
aquarius
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP

Post by aquarius »

Unfortunately DirectX is not yet supported by VirtualBox. At this time 3D Graphics Acceleration refers to OpenGL. So by now you might have a chance only if your game offers a opengl mode.

See here for reports on working windows games (on linux hosts at least)
and here for general 3D Acceleration discussion.
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

And furthermore 3D Graphics Acceleration is only available for windows xp or above. This is also true for parallels.
smcmillan

Post by smcmillan »

Thanks for your responses. I am using a Windows XP Guest. Do any of the emulation packages support DirectX to your knowledge?
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

I guess parallels does, at least somebody told me so, when I tried to play empire earth with some friends during the christmas holidays. It didn't work with vbox or parallels and w2k, but one guy used parallels with xp and said that it worked, but not very fast. And Empire Earth uses Direct-X. But I haven't tried this by myself.