How I can install audio driver for DOS in VirtualBox?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
LhaN

How I can install audio driver for DOS in VirtualBox?

Post by LhaN »

Hello and sorry for my english. I failed to make the sound in DOS.

Config:
Audio: SoundBlaster 16.
Drivers: SBPCI.zip supports the following Sound Blaster PCI cards
-------------------------------------------------------------
SB Audio PCI 128
Creative AudioPCI
Sound Blaster 16 PCI
Sound Blaster PCI 128
Sound Blaster AudioPCI
Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI
Creative Vibra 128
Any of the following chipsets: 1371, 1373, 5880

Autoexec.bat:
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H7 P330 T6
SET SBPCI=C:\DOSDRV
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\DOSDRV
SBLOAD
SBINIT.COM

Sound Blaster PCI 128 Initialization Driver , Ver 5.23
Bla bla bla
error: PCI device detect failed; Device not found.
PCI audio driver NOT loading.

How I change Sound Blaster PCI 128 to Sound Blaster 16... or the problem is someting else?

Thanks.
chronoboy
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Post by chronoboy »

Have you tried to change the IRQ to 7? This would be done on the SET BLASTER line.

Also, as far as I recall, you do not need drivers for DOS, as most DOS games used direct hardware calls to drive the sound cards and other devices in the day. At least with QEMU you do not need drivers at all, just set the BLASTER line, even if that, and it just works.

For example, Ultima 6,7,8, and underworld all detect the sound card if the sound settings are set in the installer.

The only thing that would need drivers for DOS in VirtualBox would be the NIC cards, and yes it does work for file sharing with the Host. :)

Hope this information helps.
LhaN

Post by LhaN »

No, I change irq 7 (I7) in SET BLASTER, I try inside configuration utility of games (sinstall.exe for Al Qadim) and report me the same error. Device NOT found. Seems like audio emulation don't work too well in a machine for MS-Dos, maybe?
Thanks for response.

PS: I really want to have a full virtual machine with MS-Dos, DOSBox is not the same thing. With qemu I can?
ghr
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

Post by ghr »

To 'install' Soundblaster (where/when required) you need a file called sbbasic.exe, still found at various places (perhaps even a Creative site).
LhaN

Post by LhaN »

Thanks, the problem was been solved in part with the installer. In fact, the problem was that the file config.sys that had no sentence to load sound driver. Everything in autoexec.bat is just the configuration.
I do not remember that. Sorry.

But the problem now is the MIDI. Midi no has been installed or configurated.

Config.sys:
DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CSP.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5

Autoexec.bat:
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q

When I use diagnose.exe they say: "this utility will verify the Base I/O Address and MPU-401 MIDI Port Address of your audio card."

In the first step of test the Base I/O... I select 220H port and pass... says to me test pass successfully.

In the second step test the MPU-401 Midi port... I select 330H port and.. error... say to me:
"Check whether the MPU-401 MIDI Port selected corresponds to that of your audio card." I try 300H but show me the same problem.
And continuing:
"If it is correct, then this port address may have already been used by other pepripheral cards"

Finally I select auto scan and says to me: "Diagnostic utility has detected that the current MPU-401 MIDI Port of your card cannor be used."

Any sugestion?

PS: I try with qemu... it's very complicated to use... is not what I need...
LhaN

Post by LhaN »

New data... sorry for double post.

The same problem occurs in Qemu. Sound is installed well... but not the midi.

PS: With DOSBox... the mouse not function very well.
ghr
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

Post by ghr »

looks to me as if the MIDI hardware is not virtualised :-(
LhaN

Post by LhaN »

WTF? Tell me is a joke... How is possible? If DOSBox can, and Bosch can... but with virtualbox is not possible???
v1nsai

Post by v1nsai »

I'm having a somewhat similar program (posted here http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... 8277#58277 ) but haven't gotten too far. I'm trying to uninstall the sound driver so I can reinstall it which I'm hoping would fix it. I'm using the ALSA audio driver with the ICH 97 controller.

Could you elaborate on changing the interrupt request or anything else that might fix whatever is wrong with my audio driver?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

v1nsai wrote:I'm having a somewhat similar program (posted here http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... 8277#58277 ) but haven't gotten too far. I'm trying to uninstall the sound driver so I can reinstall it which I'm hoping would fix it. I'm using the ALSA audio driver with the ICH 97 controller.

Could you elaborate on changing the interrupt request or anything else that might fix whatever is wrong with my audio driver?
Your issue is that you use the unsupported AC'97 card in DOS. That device is way ahead of DOS, so it won't work properly. That's why VB also has the SB16 option. Use that.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
v1nsai

Post by v1nsai »

Sasquatch wrote: Your issue is that you use the unsupported AC'97 card in DOS. That device is way ahead of DOS, so it won't work properly. That's why VB also has the SB16 option. Use that.
Tried that before, and tried it again just now but wasn't able to get windows xp to recognize the sound device, doesn't show up in device manager or anything.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

v1nsai wrote:
Sasquatch wrote: Your issue is that you use the unsupported AC'97 card in DOS. That device is way ahead of DOS, so it won't work properly. That's why VB also has the SB16 option. Use that.
Tried that before, and tried it again just now but wasn't able to get windows xp to recognize the sound device, doesn't show up in device manager or anything.
What? XP? We're talking about DOS here, not Windows XP. Your HOST needs audio before the GUEST can have it. If you Guest is XP, open a new topic.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.