VirtualBox 2.1.2 crash

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
vb101

VirtualBox 2.1.2 crash

Post by vb101 »

Host computer: WXP-SP2, RAM 512MiB.
Guest VM: WXP-SP3, RAM 192MiB, 10MiB video, HD 3GiB (dynamic).

Today I've uninstalled VB v2.1.0 and installed the new v2.1.2.

I'm getting VirtualBox crashes when I boot guest OS. Message box shows:

Code: Select all

VirtualBox.exe
Error signature ------------------------------------------------
AppName: virtualbox.exe	 AppVer: 0.0.0.0	 ModName: icm32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2709	 Offset: 0000433c
To view technical information about the error report, click here.
                                                           Close
I've seen it couple of times with v.2.1.0 as well. Did somebody see it too?

And most importantly - any idea how to fix it?
crazyfrog

Post by crazyfrog »

Hmmm, I had similar problem and think that the problem is due to uninstallation of previous version of Virtual box. Try follows:
1. Uninstall VBox 2.1.2;
2. Install VBox 2.1.0 or other older version;
3. Install VBox 2.1.2 without uninstalling older version - it will only upgrade to 2.1.2.
Success !
neop26

same issue

Post by neop26 »

Hi

I am facing the same issue.

My host is xp sp3 heaps of space and 2 gb ram.

Trying to run Win2k8 64bit but getting the same error as the author of this post with the exception that it shows 64 in the place of 32 in the name of the dll.

Any help??
vb101

Post by vb101 »

In a desperate attempt to fix the problem I've just tried that.
1) Uninstalled v.2.1.2; reboot.
2) installed v.2.1.0. When it tried to run - it terminated itself (see message below).
3) installed v2.1.2 over v2.1.0.
4) Tested VMs. Both machines (WXP-SP3 and WXP-SP3_2) have failed (crashed) with message provided in my first post.

The error message created at first start of v2.1.0 (see p.2 above):

VirtualBox - Critical Error
Failed to create VirtualBox COM object.
The application will now terminste.

Could not load the setting file 'C:\...\VirtualBox.xml'
Cannot convert settings from version '1.6-windows'.
The source version is not supported.
Result Code: VBOX_E_XML_ERROR (0x80BB000A)
Component: VirtualBox
Interface: ....
Callee RC: ...
It's actually expected, because in v.2.1.2 ('1.6-windows') they have removed support of "UTF-8" from v.2.1.0 ('1.5-windows') format and therefore v.2.1.0 has trouble recognizing the new format...

BTW, guys who developed VB - why do you remove ability to copy content from your error message box into clipboard? Despite the fact that right click on the box shows menu item "Copy Control-C" - it doesn't work at all and I have to retype the message manually :(
neop26

Post by neop26 »

yep

tried a similar approach mate...

Uninstalled the whole thing....then installed 2.2 directly. Its got all the info from the previous install so m not sure if that uninstall actually removed any of the settings and stuff.

But no luck still.
neop26

Solution maybe

Post by neop26 »

Hey

I was able to do something about this error.

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/d ... tools.html

Download this tool which will check if you processor is able to run Virtualization technology.

Then if it passes the test go to your bios and enable the CPU to use vt technology.

Try it ..

I am not getting the error on VB anymore and was able to boot havent finished installing but booting itself was a good sign...

Cheers

neop
vb101

Post by vb101 »

neop26 - thank you for the link to VMWare checking tool. I have been using VMWare successfully for a couple of years and have never seen any such problem. It never crashed any guest machine.

I have 32-bit CPU and while using VirtualBox v2.1.0 I was able to install and run two OSs:
1) WXP with SP3;
2) Windows 7 Beta 1.

With v2.1.0 when I run WXP I've seen several crashes too. But now with installation of new v2.1.2 I see it almost all the times :(

It looks like VirtualBox is not ready for prime time yet...
If it'll continue to do the same - I'll better return back to VMWare :(
neop26

Post by neop26 »

Hi

Ofcourse Vmware has been there for a while and steady and stuff...

But frankly I was a bit ignorant of the fact of running 64bit vms on 32 bit systems.

A random google search bought me to VB the other day and I have been having a play around with it.

The only reason why I may stay with VB (once I am able to get the thing working) would be cause it may look like to be easier on the physical box to run vms under Vb than vmware....

As i said I am not there yet with experiece with Vb so my opinion may be a bit biased.

But I am away from home this weekend...and not have much space on my Lappie to run the VB in full swing..

What I am trying to do is to evaluate the installation of ebs server 2008 before I go head on into installing it on my servers.

Also once the physical boxes are up and running I was also looking into running backup virtual machines If i need to pull down my physical boxes down for some reason..

I am planning

3 physical servers for the ebs standard...
Shadowprotect for backup and also convert p2v
Run the virtual depending on who succeeds at the end... vmware server or VB..... Vmware server cause its free and does what i need compared to vmware workstation...

What do you think? any advise?
vb101

Post by vb101 »

neop26 - you have a good plan. But choosing between VirtualBox and VMWare keep in mind that VB doesn't support moving virtual machines from one place (folder) to anothe one (not to mention - from one computer to another). And I had trouble to restart my two machines on the very same computer after I reinstalled VirtualBox (see this thread - http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=13551). I think moving VM around your hard drive (or moving to a networked place) is a common requirement and should not be a complicated procedure. Especially if you plan to backup your systems. And so far I do not see any support for it in VirtualBox.

Now, with regards to VMWare, I have to admit, while its running very reliable - it's a very heavy product. Look at its installation footprint. It takes almost 10 times more drive space then installation of VB. When you install VMWare - you'll see a lot of processes / services running on the backgraund all the time (doesn't matter - you use it, or you don't). To run VMWare on my laptop I've created bat file that starts eleven(!) services when I run it just before vmware.exe starts and shuts them all down when I done with virtual machines. Again, it's heavy, but reliable and flexible. To move a VM from one place to another you just move its folder and then you open .vmx file and it's done - you may run it again from the new place...

Keeping in mind that VrtualBox.exe running guest machines may crash - I'd suggest to postpone deployment of your environment on it until it becomes more stable. I can understand warning / error messages if something is going wrong, but crashes... :(
neop26

Post by neop26 »

mate thanks for the heads up....

I know now how things would progress for virtualization...

I guess we need to run with Vmware untill virtualbox become a stable product...

All credits to the developers...I am sure like any great product it needs to go through its cycle of updates and fixes...

I would still keep it and keep trying to get a fix on stuff...
joelbon

Failed to create VirtualBox COM object

Post by joelbon »

I had this problem also. I found that when I went to the .virtualbox folder and deleted the XML Document then went into the Machines folder and delete the XML document files in there and then restart VirtualBox it worked flawlessly and I haven't had anymore problems. :D
vb101

Post by vb101 »

May be that will add some food for thought for those who knows how it works inside...

Several (not all) logs created when guest OS crashed contained lines similar to this:

00:00:40.949 pgmr3PhysGrowRange: out of memory. pause until the user resumes execution.
00:00:40.949 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'SUSPENDED'.
00:00:45.977 Console: VM runtime error: fatal=false, errorID=HostMemoryLow message="Unable to allocate and lock memory. The virtual machine will be paused. Please close applications to free up memory or close the VM"
What I see:
1) Machine crashes without any dialog box telling that VM is paused. After crash VM is in "Aborted" state.
2) I watched "Task Manager"'s "Physical Memory (K)" allocations and particularly "Available" and noticed that the crash occurs when it becomes low.

But:
1) I started VM at the time when host OS has 270,000 KiB available. Guest OS is configured to have only 192 MiB "Base Memory". And apparently VB wants to acquire more then (or around) 270,000 KiB. Why?
2) Why it's the problem (if it is the problem here)? That's what WXP memory management is for - reallocate physical memory using paging file, and at that time of VB crash computer has a plenty of free memory in "Commit Charge (K)".

I hope this will help somehow to troubleshoot...
vb101

Re: VirtualBox 2.1.2 crash

Post by vb101 »

I've uninstalled v2.1.2, rebooted computer and installed v2.1.4.

The problem is sill here. VirtualBox always crashes with this message:

VirtualBox.exe
Error signature ---
AppName: virtualbox.exe	 AppVer: 0.0.0.0	 ModName: icm32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2709	 Offset: 0000433c
To view technical information about the error report, click here.
Close
VS debugger shows:

Unhandled exception at 0x66e9433e in VirtualBox.exe: 0xC000008E: Floating-point division by zero.
Should we open a bug report to fix the problem?

Here is link to bug report describing similar problem - #846 (VirtualBox always crashes) - VirtualBox. It's in closed state now. But apparently the bug has not been fixed yet :(
Please, advice.