Microsoft Hyper-V Virtual Machine Bus Provider failed with code 37 in Windows Guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Malcolm3

Microsoft Hyper-V Virtual Machine Bus Provider failed with code 37 in Windows Guest

Post by Malcolm3 »

I am trying to get Hyper-V running in a Windows 10 Pro Guest instance. However, the Hyper-V instance won't start. It warns that a Hpyer-V service is not running. Investigating that identifies that the Microsoft Hyper-V Virtual Machine Bus Provider failed with code 37.

It turns out that there is already a ticket (#21392) open with what appears to be exactly my problem. (I would post the URL here but the editor considers w w w . v i r t u a l b o x . o r g to be an "external" domain. Sigh. So to view the ticket add use that domain and the path "/ticket/21392".

It looks like that ticket from 18 months ago languished because the initial poster didn't provide a VBox.log file. I tried to revive interest in that ticket by posting my own VBox.log file, but I have heard nothing, so I am turning here.

I am running VirtualBox 7.0.18 on a workstation running Linux Mint 21.3. The Guest instance is running Windows 10 Pro, version 22H2, OS Build 19045.4529. The Guest instance has Nested Paging and Hyper-V Paravirtualization Acceleration turned on. I have attached my VirtualBox log file here as well.

If you can point me to what I may be doing wrong, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,
Malcolm3
Attachments
Windows10-2024-06-19-15-34-26.log
VirtualBox log file from the instance experiencing the problem.
(80.68 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Malcolm3

Re: Microsoft Hyper-V Virtual Machine Bus Provider failed with code 37 in Windows Guest

Post by Malcolm3 »

A couple of points of information I should add:

First, the explanation for the Code 37 error is: "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware". Which is why I believe that the problem may be related to my VirtualBox configuration and not just a Windows bug.

Second my version of Windows 10 Pro Guest instance is an in place upgrade from Windows 10 Home. Just in case that makes any difference.
Malcolm3

Re: Microsoft Hyper-V Virtual Machine Bus Provider failed with code 37 in Windows Guest

Post by Malcolm3 »

Ah. And one more thing. I have found the error mentioned on some Windows centric forums. However, I have performed the standard solutions posted there (i.e. scan for driver updates, and update the driver for the device) and that has not fixed things.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

You appear to be trying to install Hyper-V in your Windows 10 VM, i.e. "Nested Virtualisation" and, if that's correct, it is not going to happen for two main reasons:

1. VirtualBox only provides limited support for nested virtualisation as described in the VirtualBox User Manual. See: Paragraph 10.34 for the current limitations.

2. Only a Hyper-V enabled Host, i.e. a Windows Host, can support Hyper-V nested virtualisation and that would require the Windows VM to be installed and running under Hyper-V, i.e. not a Linux Host or a Windows system running a 3rd-party "Type-2" virtualisation software such as VirtualBox, VMware etc.
Malcolm3

Post by Malcolm3 »

Thanks. That definitely explains why it isn't working.