Windows XP crashes multiple times a day

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
TVEB

Windows XP crashes multiple times a day

Post by TVEB »

Hello,

We have a very old Navision version that only works on Windows 98 up to Windows XP, our old terminals are starting to break down after 25-30 years of use and getting replacement parts for those specific terminals are hard if not impossible to find.

We are in the progress to upgrade to a modern version of Navision, but until this is finished we need a working alternative in the mean time.

So we have a new terminal for testing, this is a modern terminal with touchscreen, industrial enclosure, waterproof, nvme ssd, com ports and running Windows 10. We have 2 com ports connected, one for a datamax label printer and another one for a scale to weigh products.

I installed virtualbox and installed a fresh copy of Windows XP SP3, installed the virtualbox guest disk and forwarded the com ports, did some tweaking to have full screen and remove the notifications on startup. I Created a batch file which boot straight into the vm without showing the virtualbox interface.

So everything seemed to work just fine, however the people using the vm's are telling me that it locks-up/freezes multiple times a day, the are mainly using the touchscreen as a mouse and use the keyboard to quickly go trough Navision. They think that it mostly locks-up when they use the esc key alot, but almost everytime I'm there to see it happening they can't reproduce it so it is very random.

I changed the processors from 2 to 1, and this seem to help, but it still lock ups like 20-30 times a day. They use ctrl+alt+del to get to windows 10 taskmanager kill the vm and restart it. I also tried changing the chipset to ICH9 and pointing device to PS/2 Mouse.

Below I added the log file. After this log was created I did a update to 7.0.18, they are testing if this helps but I doubt it.
Attachments
NAVISION-XP-2024-05-30-10-05-25.log
(172.7 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Re: Windows XP crashes multiple times a day

Post by klaus »

The log you're providing doesn't match in any way the problems you're claiming. It's from a guest-initiated poweroff which implies that nothing locked up.
01:11:23.558604 VMMDev: Guest requests the VM to be turned off
TVEB

Post by TVEB »

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, it was not possible to get to the terminal earlier.

I thought I had to shutdown the vm to be able to get the logs.

Attached is the whole log folder zipped with all logs.

I disabled the audio in virtualbox to see if this helps, they are testing the terminal at the moment.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(112.79 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Might be also worth trying with the latest 7.0.x test build because you're using a VM with USB 1.1 (OHCI) and USB 2.0 (EHCI) controller which had a bug in the 7.0.16 and 7.0.18 releases. For Windows XP it's not so easy to use the "switch to USB 3.0 (xHCI)" workaround because it's very hard to find the associated driver.
TVEB

Post by TVEB »

So for one day we did not had issues, so I hoped that disabling audio did fix it. But the next day we had the same issues.

Have installed the test build and vm guest addition in the VM.