How do I disable and enable WinRE?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mrzenwiz
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: Windows, CentOS, Xubuntu

How do I disable and enable WinRE?

Post by mrzenwiz »

I'm trying to modify my Win10 guest on Xubuntu 22.04.4 hos to run in UEFI boot mode instead of legacy mode. I'd like to try to upgrade to Win11, but this can't happen in legacy mode.

I successfully ran mbr2gpt /convert, but at the end it said I have to do something with WinRE (WinRepair.xml failed, or something like that) it couldn't do.

There were no specific instructions on how to do this, so I'm asking here.

Any help?
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: How do I disable and enable WinRE?

Post by multiOS »

You won't find explicit instructions in the VirtualBox documentation because it's a Windows repair procedure. If I remember correctly, all I had to do having successfully used the MBR2GPT software to amend the disk setup, was to shut down the VM and then set (tick) the EFI option in the VM Settings Screen, to get Windows 10 to fire up again.
mrzenwiz
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows, CentOS, Xubuntu

Post by mrzenwiz »

I did all that and now my VM refuses to boot - it says no bootable disk was found and wants me to insert a CD / DVD.

It also will not boot any of the .iso files I have for Windows 10 or 11.

Not at all sure what to do next. My Win 7 VM and all my Xubuntu VMs boot just fine.

Thanks, though.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

One more try! Launch the VM into the UEFI (BIOS) screen by continually pressing the 'Escape' Key during the VM's startup process. You might have to try this a few times depending on how fast your keyboard reactions are :wink: . In the UEFI Boot management settings otption, select the VDI File (Hard Drive) to be the Primary Boot device, Save the new settings and exit out. Then cross your fingers and try a re-boot of the VM.

Note: The Boot order settings in the VirtualBox Manager VM Settings only work with 'old school' BIOS/MBR. UEFI takes no notice of those settings.
RickySan

Post by RickySan »

It includes many factors we need to keep in mind
Last edited by RickySan on 19. Jun 2024, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.