Windows XP guest cannot see Casio music keyboard over USB-MIDI

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
KRC

Windows XP guest cannot see Casio music keyboard over USB-MIDI

Post by KRC »

Setup

I am running a Window 11 host, with Oracle VirtualBox 7.0.4 and a Windows XP guest. I have attached a single zip file containing the three pieces of information suggested in the USB troubleshooting guide (output from VBoxManage, log file from the guest, log file from VBoxSvc).

I have a CASIO music keyboard (CTK-6250) with a MIDI-USB connection over a USB-B to
USB-A cable. I have created a USB filter in VirtualBox to identify and capture the
Casio keyboard.

I am running the same version of MIDI-OX software on both the guest and the
host, which works as a tool (MIDI client) to test MIDI connections.

The host can see the Casio keyboard.

Boot the host. Plug in the Casio keyboard with guest not running.

MIDI-OX on the host can see MIDI input and send MIDI output to the Casio keyboard. Sound happens.

Device Manager on the host shows the Casio keyboard as "CASIO USB-MIDI" in the category of "Sound, video and game controllers". It is using a Microsoft supplied driver, version 10.0.22621.3672, called "wdma_usb.inf". It says it is in the "USBAudio" section.

Clean start for the guest.

Shut down MIDI-OX on the host.
Disconnect the Casio keyboard.
Start up the virtual guest.
The "Devices -> USB" menu on the VirtualBox does not list the Casio keyboard.

VirtualBox captures the Casio keyboard.

Reconnect the USB cable from the Casio keyboard.

The VirtualBox "Devices -> USB" menu now lists the Casio keyboard, with a checkmark next to it.

MIDI-OX on the host can no longer see the Casio, and reports "There are no MIDI input devices."

Device Manager on the host no longer includes "CASIO USB-MIDI" in the list of "Sound, video and game controllers".

Also, the host Device Manager, under "USB controllers" now lists the "VirtuaBox USB". Double clicking on that device reports that "The device is working properly." However, going to the events tab, it reports:

1. Device ... requires further installation.
2. Device ... was configued. Driver name: oem2.inf.. Driver version: 7.0.4.4605.
3. Device ... had a problem starting. Problem status 0xC00000E5

Note that the Microsoft online support forum says that this error code usually indicates a problem with a device driver.

Guest does not see the Casio keyboard.

Start MIDI-OX on the guest. It reports: "There are no MIDI input devices."

Device Manager on the guest does not list the CASIO USB-MIDI under "Sound, etc". Under "Other Devices", it lists the USB controller with a yellow question mark. When you double-click on that device, the general tab says that the drivers are not installed.

Disconnect the Casio USB cable. The guest Device Manager still shows the same error message on the USB controller.

Shut down the guest.

After closing the guest, host restores working connection.

Host Device Manager no longer sees the "VirtualBox USB" controller. MIDi-OX on the host can again see the Casio keyboard and see and transmit MIDI in and out.

Tentative Conclusion?

It appears to me that there is a device driver problem. But I can't tell if I should look for one from Casio, Microsoft, or from an Oracle VirtualBox setting that I missed.

Advice?

Thanks,
Kevin

PS: Once upon a time, I had a similar setup working successfully on a Windows 10 laptop with an older Casio keyboard and a cable with MIDI connectors on one end and a USB-A connector on the other end. So I suspect that there is ultimately a solution to my problem somewhere.
Attachments
VBOX-USB.zip
(40.38 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Windows XP guest cannot see Casio music keyboard over USB-MIDI

Post by multiOS »

Windows XP was not Plug 'N' Play' aware, so you will need to manually install the required Driver(s) for the device in the XP VM. From your description of all the actions and responses everything else seems to be working correctly.
KRC

Post by KRC »

I'm not sure I understand your response. Microsoft first introduced plug 'n' play with Windows 95, six years before it released Windows XP. What exactly does it mean that XP was "not plug 'n' play aware"?

I'm also still not sure what driver I need and who to get it from. Partly, that's because I see an error code (0xC00000E5) associated with the VirtualBox USB driver in the host machine. When I think about that, I realize that I don't know if the problem at this point is MIDI or USB. I suppose the best thing to try next is to connect something else (like a simple flash drive) to the USB port of the host and find out if I can get it to be captured by the guest successfully. That would at least let me know if it is USB in general or just this USB-MIDI device.
ghr
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

Post by ghr »

Looks to me as if you enabled USB 3. If I am right: Don't do that ! Revert to USB 2, and your yellow question mark should go. Then retry...
KRC

Post by KRC »

Hi,

So ,after the first response to my post describing the problem, having realized that I hadn't tested anything other than the Casio keyboard connected to the USB port, I tried a flash drive. It failed to be detected. Since the troubleshooting guide suggests reinstalling while being sure to "Run as administrator", I did that. However, since I didn't have the latest version of VirtualBox, I took the opportunity to upgrade to 7.0.18. I also made sure to get rid of the 7.0.4 extension pack and install the 7.0.18 extension pack. That step cleared the yellow warning question mark on the VirtualBox USB driver in the host Device Manager.

Then I tried the USB flash drive again. It still didn't work. Fortunately, by that time, there was another useful post advising me to disable USB 3.0 and step back to USB 2.0. That step fixed the problem for the flash drive, which I was able to see as an eternal drive in the guest.

Now I am at the problem I though was at to begin with. The host can see the Casio music keyboard when I plug in the USB. If I disconnect the Casio, start the guest VM, reconnect the Casio, I find
1. The host no longer sees the Casio as a USB Audio device among "Sound, etc. controllers" in Device Manager,
2. The Device Manager in the host reports a happy and functioning VirtualBox USB controller.
3. MIDI-OX in the guest does not see any MIDI devices.
4. Device Manager in the guest doesn't report anything that looks like a USBAudio device or MIDI device.

So I think i have ruled out pure USB issues. I suspect that I need to find a driver for Windows XP that knows what to do with the MIDI stuff connected via USB. I didn't have to do anything like that on the Window 10 host; Microsoft just activated one of its own drivers (wdma_usb.inf) when the Casio device appeared at the port.

Did I miss anything? And, more importantly, does anyone have a suggestion as to how I might locate an appropriate driver to run inside the XP guest?

Thanks,
Kevin
ghr
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

Post by ghr »

Found a manual, checked that, it has very specific instructions on how to get started (chapter Connecting to a Computer). I guess you did that? From there it seems to me that you have to tell the OS via an application which type of device you have (in the case of XP: USB Audio Device).
jorgensen
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by jorgensen »

The USB 2 driver for Windows XP has a lot of latency and many USB equipment failed to connect to this driver.
Instead search the VirtualBox forums for how to install USB 3 in Windows XP.
This USB 2 connection is close to native performance.