Program in XP just "flashes" but won't open

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Divnick

Program in XP just "flashes" but won't open

Post by Divnick »

I have an old version of Dreamweaver in my XP in Virtual Box 7.0.18. When I click to open it, I see a split second image of the Dreamweaver screen, but then nothing happens. It does not open. This started happening about a week ago. I haven't loaded or changed anything in XP.

I also have an old version of Photo Impact in the virtual XP, and it works great.

I thought maybe I should re-load Dreamweaver into XP, but I can't figure out how to do it, even though I had it in there for a couple years when it worked fine. I have the original CD, but I can't seem to get it to load in XP in the Virtual Box. It only loads in my Win10 computer.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide.
RonSMeyer1
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: Host: Linux Mint / Guests: Windows 10 - Win XP - OS/2 Warp 4 - MS-DOS

Re: Program in XP just "flashes" but won't open

Post by RonSMeyer1 »

There are a lot of problems with Virtual Box 7.0.18, and 7.0.16 as well. I would go back to 7.0.14 before messing around with the application. I've had to do that myself. Be sure to reinstall the 7.0.14 guest additions.
Divnick

Post by Divnick »

Where can I find that version of VB? I would be glad to try that and see if it solves this issue.

Thanks for helping me with this.
Rui Baptista
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, ...

Post by Rui Baptista »

Go to: Downloads > VirtualBox older builds > VirtualBox 7.0 > VirtualBox 7.0.14
Divnick

Post by Divnick »

Thank you. I successfully downloaded 7.0.14. Unfortunately, the starting screen of Dreamweaver still flashes for a split second, but doesn't load.

Do you have any other suggestions?

I wonder if there might be someone who I can pay to remote in and solve this for me???

Thank you.

Steve
Divnick

Post by Divnick »

Does anyone know how to load a program into a virtual XP on Virtual Box from a CD?

I can load it onto my host computer, but I can't figure out how to get it into the virtual XP computer.

I have tried finding the drive in the Settings in XP, but can't get out of XP.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Steve
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

VirtualBox does have an "experimental" CD/DVD Drive passthrough feature, but you will need to use VBoxManage commands to implement the feature and you might also need to install any required XP compatible drivers in the VM. It's also not clear that the feature will support software installation from a CD/DVD Drive, but it may be worth trying. - See the VirtualBox User Manual Section 6.9 for instructions.

As you are considering trying this route, I presume the software installation CD is protected in some way which prevents users from simply copying the contents to other media.
Divnick

Post by Divnick »

Thank you, but I wasn't able to make the pass-through suggestion work.

This is strange because I have installed this software on my virtual XP before on this and a previous computer, and it seemed fairly easy to install at the time. But it was several years ago and I can't figure out how to do it now, or something has changed that I am not aware of.

What is the purpose of having a virtual XP if not to run legacy programs? I would think this is exactly what it is designed to do and there must be a simple way to load the old programs from a CD. It's kind of the definition of "legacy software." I must be missing something simple.

I own the CD and have the full license code. I just can't get it from the CD player (USB Drive) onto the virtual XP (which is running my other legacy program perfectly).

Any other suggestions? I would be happy to pay for someone to walk me through the process.
Divnick

Post by Divnick »

SUCCESS!

I kept fiddling with it...found the 4.11 USB Support Instructions, added the USB Drive where the CD Drive was attached, brought the XP Machine to the top of my screen and plugged the CD Drive in again. XP then recognized the CD and I was able to load it successfully and re-install the software which now works!!!

Thank you for taking the time to help.