Ubuntu 20.04 VM failing to boot on Windows Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
eastofeast

Ubuntu 20.04 VM failing to boot on Windows Host

Post by eastofeast »

Hi Everyone,

I just tried yesterday to use an Ubuntu 20.04 VM that I have here on my Windows 10 host. I've hardly used the VM for a year, but wanted to use it to experiment with some web hosting stuff (which I didn't get around to at all). It wasn't responding to anything much (clicking on apps didn't do anything), so I restarted it, and now it's stuck at this point :|
capture_20230904_210427_923.PNG
capture_20230904_210427_923.PNG (6.9 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
I've seen that *initramfs* before on a "real" Ubuntu installation, and I remember that it was a pain to get around every time. In the end I had no choice but to reinstall.

Just wondering in this case whether this is something that I can fix within VirtualBox. If it's about RAM, I had given plenty of RAM to this VM - 6GB. So surely that can't be it!

Happy to send any relevant logs, if someone can point me to the right place :P
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 VM failing to boot on Windows Host

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
eastofeast

Post by eastofeast »

scottgus1 wrote: 5. Sep 2023, 13:51 In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Attachments tab
OK, thanks. I hope this is correct!
VBox.zip
(32.57 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the log. I don't see any odd behavior in the VM's "hardware" as shown in the log.

Try making a new VM with the same install ISO, see if that VM can be usable. (It's entirely possible that something in the last run of the VM corrupted the VM's disk file, or a host process overwrote something, etc. Happens on real PC's too.)
eastofeast

Post by eastofeast »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah, that's a pain. Thanks for your help anyway :D

Well, I think that I backed up most of the scripts and settings, so it shouldn't hurt too much.

I had snapshots of older versions, by the way, but those didn't start either.
eastofeast

Post by eastofeast »

Massively later on...... I've finally got around to fixing this problem. Not a big deal in the end. I just followed the instructions on this thread:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/885062/ ... anual-fsck

Very thankful for that. I didn't fancy the rigmarole of creating a new VM.