Remove failed snapshots ?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
dsi2

Remove failed snapshots ?

Post by dsi2 »

Hi there,

while taking a snapshot, my VM froze. After restarting the host, the VM is not accessible:
Hard disk 'C:\VMs\Win719_C\Snapshots/{cf8d66fa-6a25-4f90-b8dc-ce67c7d3afc1}.vmdk' with UUID {cf8d66fa-6a25-4f90-b8dc-ce67c7d3afc1} cannot be directly attached to the virtual machine 'Win719_C' ('C:\VMs\Win719_C\Win719_C.vbox') because it has 1 differencing child hard disks.

Is there a way to remove the last one or two snapshots altogether and restart with the state of the third-last snapshot ?
I took a snapshot this morning before updating VirtualBox; it started ok but got stuck when I wanted to trake another snapshot right after updating.

Host is Win10 64, VM Win7 32. Vbox.log attached as:
VBoxdsi.zip
(27.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
TIA,
Daniel
dsi2

Re: Remove failed snapshots ?

Post by dsi2 »

deleting via vboxmanage gives me the machine not registered error, vboxmanage list shows it as inaccessible.
dsi2

Re: Remove failed snapshots ?

Post by dsi2 »

Fiddling about with .vbox and virtualbox.xml files did not help. The machine stayed inaccessible.

The advice from
superuser.com/questions/874535/virtualbox-with-inaccessible-snapshot
did the trick when I removed and reattached the storage controller. I was able to delete the failes snapshot and return to the one before it.

Edit: Saving doesn't work anymore, neither current state nor snapshots.

Edit2: There seams to be an issue with Virtual ox 7.0.18, it hangs on saving. See
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/22059 ... num_hist=9
Next time, I will revert to an earlier version before restoring my general backup (which turned out to be corrupted as well).