[RESOLVED] Latest Virtual Box 7.0.18 doesn't save the state machine anymore

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
CodeVisio

[RESOLVED] Latest Virtual Box 7.0.18 doesn't save the state machine anymore

Post by CodeVisio »

Hi,

Long time user. I updated Virtual Box to the latest version the other day.
Today I discovered that on File -> Close, it doesn't save the state machine anymore. It gets stuck on attempting to save it.

How can I fix that?

Guest: Windows 7
Host Windows 10.
Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks
Last edited by CodeVisio on 23. May 2024, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: VirtualBox+Oracle ExtPack
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Latest Virtual Box 7.0.18 doesn't save the state machine anymore

Post by multiOS »

See: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/22059 on the Public bugtracker.

Comment 17 by 'Paulson' might help:
It looks like a regression in the USB OHCI support was introduced in VirtualBox 7.0.16 which thus affects VMs configured to use either a USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 controller. Rather than downgrading a workaround is to configure the VM to use a USB 3.0 (xHCI) controller.

As Windows 7 didn't have native USB 3 support, you might have to download and install the necessary Drivers to use the workaround, if you haven't already done that for your existing use.
CodeVisio

Re: Latest Virtual Box 7.0.18 doesn't save the state machine anymore

Post by CodeVisio »

multiOS wrote: 22. May 2024, 22:57 See: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/22059 on the Public bugtracker.

Comment 17 by 'Paulson' might help:
It looks like a regression in the USB OHCI support was introduced in VirtualBox 7.0.16 which thus affects VMs configured to use either a USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 controller. Rather than downgrading a workaround is to configure the VM to use a USB 3.0 (xHCI) controller.

As Windows 7 didn't have native USB 3 support, you might have to download and install the necessary Drivers to use the workaround, if you haven't already done that for your existing use.
I changed the settings for the USB from USB 2.0 (OHCI + EHCI) Controller to USB 3.0 (xHCI) Controller
and it worked perfectly.

Thanks a lot.