How to change the file path of the .vbox file

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mmcap

How to change the file path of the .vbox file

Post by mmcap »

Hi all,
I recently got rid of OneDrive and now my VMs will not open. When I try to start a VM it says it is not accessible. I get this message as well.

Runtime error opening 'C:\Users\mehle\OneDrive\Documents\VirtualBox\VMs\Wazuh\Wazuh.vbox' for reading VERR_PATH_NOT_FOUND (Path not found.)

I have moved the VM folders to the exact same file path except the "OneDrive" part. Is there a way to remove the word OneDrive from the access path in the .vbox file?

Thanks in advance
Norm
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: How to change the file path of the .vbox file

Post by fth0 »

Depending on how many VMs you have, you could simply try removing all VMs from the VirtualBox Manager and re-adding them afterwards. Alternatively, you could reboot the host so that no VirtualBox component is running, and manually edit C:\Users\<username>\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml.

PS: No backup, no mercy! ;)
mmcap

Re: How to change the file path of the .vbox file

Post by mmcap »

The solution was so simple it's embarrassing. All I had to do was open the VirtualBox manager select the VM I wanted to move to the new folder, select the Machine tab at the top, select move from the menu, and then select the folder in which I wanted it to reside. Done. Problem solved!

P.S. I always have a backup copy of my files :D

Thank you for your help
Norm