Display error with Ubuntu guest and MacOS Sonoma host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
schiotz
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu Linux, Windows XP

Display error with Ubuntu guest and MacOS Sonoma host

Post by schiotz »

Hi,

I have a problem with the display on my Linux hosts on a MacBook Pro model 2019. As I move the mouse, the screen switches between being normal and looking like the attached screenshot. I see it both on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and a newly installed Ubuntu 24.04 LTS guests.
I have the newest Guest Additions installed (7.0.18) .The 22.04 version I could revert to an old snapshot with some old 6.X Guest Additions installed, then it works fine!

Any suggestions for fixing this?

Attached: screen shot resized to half resolution to comply with file size limit.
Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 12.57.20.png
Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 12.57.20.png (242.5 KiB) Viewed 452 times
schiotz
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu Linux, Windows XP

Re: Display error with Ubuntu guest and MacOS Sonoma host

Post by schiotz »

Follow-up to my own post:

For what it is worth, I see this problem with Ubuntu guests, not with Lubuntu which runs a different graphics system.
multiOS
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Display error with Ubuntu guest and MacOS Sonoma host

Post by multiOS »

I can't tell from the corrupted screen at what stage this problem arises, i.e. before or after User Login is attempted. If after login, is attempted, are the Ubuntu VM's being launched into a Wayland session (now the default for Ubuntu) when this problem occurs? If so then try switching to 'X', or Xwayland, if it's provided, before Login. VirtualBox 7.0.xx isn't fully compatible with Wayland.

If this isn't the problem, then a 'zipped' copy of the VBox.log file will be needed by any Forum user attempting to identify the cause of the problem and possible solutions.